It's the last Monday in May, which means it's Memorial Day weekend and summertime is almost here! If you're spending time outdoors with friends and family this weekend, these Vegan Memorial Day Recipes will bring all the sunshine.
You might know by now how much I LOVE summertime. I find things (and, of course, recipes!) to love about winter, but I'm happiest when the sun is shining and there are pool days on the calendar. This makes Memorial Day weekend extra exciting since it feels like the kickoff to my favorite season! While we spend time commemorating and feeling overwhelming gratitude for those who have lost their life in service to our country, we'll also be making these Vegan Memorial Day Recipes. They're gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan (no eggs or dairy!), soy-free, and made without refined sugar, so these recipes are truly for everyone to enjoy.
Appetizers and Dips
To keep appetizers from spoiling appetites or overshadowing the main meal, I prefer to think of these as snacks to be enjoyed all day! Having dips, cut fruit and veggies, and chips on hand keeps any hangry feelings away...and these Vegan Memorial Day Recipes are some of my favorites!
- Fruit Appetizers: Easy Vegan Watermelon Pizza or Creamy Vegan Cinnamon Vanilla Fruit Dip (serve with red berries and blueberries to make it extra festive)
- Hummus: Quick and Easy Creamy Hummus or Zucchini Hummus
- Vegan French Onion Dip (with Caramelized Onions!)
- Salsas: Salsa Fresca, Strawberry Salsa, or Best Peach Salsa (Quick and Easy!)
- Mexican Food Dips: Creamy Vegan Black Bean Dip, Guacamole (Chipotle Copycat Recipe!), or Best Vegan 7-Layer Dip (paleo)
Pasta, Potato, and Quinoa Salads
My summertime entertaining secret? Always make a double batch of potato, pasta or quinoa salad. It tastes even better after a day of sitting in the refrigerator, so leftovers are AMAZING and you get to enjoy them for lunch! These hearty dishes are must-have Vegan Memorial Day Recipes.
- Potato Salad: Lemon Olive Oil and Dill Potato Salad or Vegan Tzatziki Potato Salad
- Pasta Salads: Best Vegan Mediterranean Pasta Salad, Vegan Summer Macaroni Salad, Creamy Vegan Picnic Pasta Salad, The Best Easy Greek Orzo Salad, and Creamy Broccoli and Zucchini Pasta Salad
- Quinoa salads: Vegan Mexican Quinoa Salad, Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Salad, Mango-Avocado Quinoa Salad with Toasted Pepitas
Slaws & Salads
When it comes to salads I try to keep it colorful, flavorful, and always with just a little bit of crunch. Salads are a warm-weather BFF because they're so easy to prepare ahead of time and don't usually require much, if any, stovetop or oven time.
- Bright & Colorful Salads: Vegan Beet Tzatziki Salad, Watermelon Avocado Mint Feta Salad, Broccoli Salad with Avocado, or Mediterranean Zucchini Noodle Salad
- Slaw: Easy Southwester Jicama Veggie Slaw, Vegan Summer Slaw, and Garlic Cilantro Lime No Mayo Coleslaw Recipe
- Cucumber Salads: Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad with Dill and Red Onion or Horiatiki: Simple Greek Village Salad
- Sauces and dressings: Chermoula Sauce, Green Goddess Dressing/Dip, the Best Creamy Vegan Poppy Seed Dressing, Easy Green Onion Cashew Sauce (vegan + paleo), and Creamy Vegan Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce
Grilling Vegan Memorial Day Recipes
Since Memorial Day is the kickoff to everything summertime, you have to dust off the grill! I have a couple veggie burgers we all love, but honestly, I get the MOST excited about grilled veggies. There's nothing quite like a perfectly cooked vegetable with just a bit of smoky, charred flavor!
- Grilled Veggies: Rainbow Veggie Kebabs with Jalapeno Chimichurri Sauce, Grilled Veggie Pesto Pasta, or Quinoa and Mango Stuffed Grilled Avocado
- Burgers: Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers, California Avocado Veggie Burger, or Grillable Quinoa Black Bean Veggie Burger...all best served with Grilled Sweet Potato Fries and my Vegan Honey Mustard Sauce!
Vegan Memorial Day Recipes for Drinks & Cocktails
I honestly think the key to making an occasion feel special and different from the everyday is a fun drink. We love doing these refined sugar-free slushies, lemonade or spritzers when we want to add fresh fruit flavor and a fun "Cheers!" moment!
Vegan Memorial Day Desserts
What's a roundup without desserts?! I had to include all of my favorite summertime dessert recipes here, starting with cobblers and crisps! My whole family gets excited about these treats, so I know we'll be making them all summer long.
- Cobbler, Crisp, & Galette: Easy Vegan Apple Crisp, Vegan Paleo Blueberry Galette, and Vegan Gluten-Free Grilled Peach Cobbler
- Sorbet: Easy Dairy-Free Dole Whip, Easy Homemade Mango Sorbet, and 2-Ingredient Strawberry Sorbet
- Snow Cones & Slushies: Homemade Dye-Free Strawberry Snow Cones or Watermelon Mint-Lime Slushies
- Bars: Key Lime Pie Bars, Lemon Bars, Vegan and Gluten-Free Blueberry Crumble Bars, Protein-Packed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, or No-Bake Vegan Almond Butter Brown Rice Crispy Treats with Dark Chocolate Shell
- Popsicles: Healthy and Creamy Key Lime Pie Popsicles, Berries and Cream Popsicles, Easy Watermelon Popsicles, Vegan "Nutella" Fudge Pops (with Healthy Homemade Nutella!)
- Ice cream: Easy No-Churn Chocolate Cherry Vegan Ice Cream, No-Churn Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Blender Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream, No-Churn Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
Red White & Blue
No patriotic recipe roundup is complete without red, white and blue recipes! Having one of these dishes on the table feels festive. It's just right for a day dedicated to honoring those who have lost their lives in service to our country.
More Resources & Roundups
- Kid-Friendly Vegan Dinners: Recipes Kids Love
- Favorite Dairy-Free Swaps: The Ultimate Dairy-Free Resource And Recipe Guide
- Ultimate Gluten-Free Product Recommendations + Helpful Resources
- Beginner's Guide to Starting a Veggie & Herb Garden
- Eco-Friendly Products I Love
- Vegan Rainbow Recipes
- Ultimate Vegan Smoothie Recipe Roundup
- Vegan Spring Recipes - All Gluten-Free!
- The Ultimate Vegan and Gluten-Free Camping Recipe Roundup
- Spring Holiday Menu Inspiration + Brunch Dishes (all vegan + gluten-free)