This recipe for vegan potato salad is made with small red potatoes, celery, red onion, fresh dill, and an olive oil-mustard dressing. No mayo or eggs! Easy, healthy and filling, it’s a terrific plant-based potato salad for a BBQ spread, potluck or summer get together. Serve cold, ready within 15 minutes!
This mayo-free potato salad is full of fresh spring flavor from bright and fruity lemon-infused olive oil and herby dill. It is studded with crunchy celery and pungent, crispy red onion which makes each bite super satisfying. It is simple to pull together and is always a crowd-pleaser.
I absolutely love the classic French-style potato salad which is olive oil-based as an alternative to mayo. However, when I'm in the mood for more creaminess I'll use cashews instead of mayo to make a vegan version of tzatziki potato salad. There really is no limit to creating delicious vegan side dish recipes!
How to Make Potato Salad
I always make my potatoes for this vegan dill potato salad in the Instant Pot so I don't have to stand over the stove. They come out perfectly cooked when I follow the method outlined below. I also provide stove top instructions as well.
While the potatoes cook I puree the dressing ingredients in my blender and chop up the celery and red onion. The entire salad comes together quite quickly. I just toss the potatoes with the herb-infused vinaigrette and stir in the red onions and celery. It is best served when slightly chilled so I recommend making a couple hours before serving.
What makes this simple vegan potato salad is the high quality lemon infused olive oil I use by Pomora. It is incredible and I highly recommend. You all know that I only share companies and products that I love and believe in. Pomora's speciality olive oils are bold and complex with truly authentic and gourmet flavor. Their oils are obtained directly from olives and solely by mechanical means. They actually don’t have any physical stores and cut out all the middle men from the supply chain so more of your money goes to the farmers and into their local communities. Their farmers have generations of experience behind them and use traditional and sustainable farming methods. They respect the land which supports them and they take care of their employees.
Pomora’s extra virgin olive oils are pure and delicious. I have been using them exclusively in my cooking. If you are interesting in trying out their olive oils you can adopt your very own olive tree and receive quarterly shipments of premium quality olive oil from your adopted tree.
Each quarterly shipment of olive oil contains 3 x 250ml tins of oil. Typically, these are:
- Spring: flavored oils (e.g. 1 x lemon, 1 x chili and 1 x rosemary);
- Summer: classic extra virgin olive oil;
- Autumn: flavored oils (e.g. 1 x basil, 1 x garlic and 1 x white truffle);
- Winter: olio nuovo – young/fresh oil.
You can even adopt a tree as a gift. Be sure to use discount code: “EBE25” – which gives 25% off the cost of the first quarter of an Adoption.
What is the best type of potato for potato salad?
Red potatoes are ideal because of both their size and texture. They are a little firmer than yellow potatoes which can get too soft for potato salad. You could definitely use a combination of both gold and red. You can thinly slice them or chop them.
What to serve with potato salad?
Potato salad goes great with basically anything you would normally expect to find at a cookout. It definitely gives off summertime vibes as it is light, cold and very refreshing! I recommend serving it with any of the following recipes:
- Rainbow veggie kebabs with chimichurri sauce
- Grillable quinoa black bean veggie burger
- Sweet potato veggie burger
- California avocado veggie burger
- Portobello mushroom burger
- Vegan Mediterranean quinoa salad
- Grilled veggie pesto pasta
This potato salad recipe with no mayo is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and nut-free.
@eatingbyelaine No mayo lemon 🍋 and olive oil potato salad! #nomayo #potatosalad #potatosaladrecipe #veganpotatosalad ♬ original sound - eatingbyelaine
This recipe for vegan potato salad is made with small red potatoes, celery, red onion, fresh dill, and an olive oil-mustard dressing. No mayo, or eggs! Easy, healthy and filling, it’s a terrific plant-based potato salad for a BBQ spread, potluck or summer get together. Serve cold, ready within 15 minutes! I provide both Instant Pot and stovetop instructions below.
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into small bite-sized chunks
- ¼ of a large red onion, diced
- 4-5 stalks celery, diced
- Cook the potatoes. To cook the potatoes in your Instant Pot, place in the steamer basket with 1 cup of water. Cover with the lid making sure the valve is set to sealed. Cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes. Naturally release. To cook the potatoes on your stove top, place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife, about 5 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the onions and celery and set aside.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and process for about 20 seconds until well combined. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes have cooked and cooled, add the dressing and toss gently. Gently stir in the red onions and celery. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Cover and chill in your refrigerator until serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 2-3 days.
*If you do not have lemon olive oil, add the juice of one lemon (about 2 tablespoons).
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Side Dish
This recipe is brought to you in partnership with Pomora. As always, all opinions are my own. I only share companies I love and trust.