I cannot believe we are in mid-June. This means full-on cookout season, dining outside with friends and family and lots of seasonal produce. Summer cole slaw recipes are always evolving for me. This one is my current obsession. It is undetectably mayo-free and 100% vegan. I use a simple tahini-based dressing to provide a creamy texture that will keep you coming back for more. This summer slaw is total eye candy with all the vibrant colors. It is crunchy and full of classic cole slaw flavor.
Since it is mayo-free you don't have to worry as much about it sitting out a bit in the heat. It makes for the perfect pot-luck, crowd-pleasing healthy side.
After the cabbage, the recipe can be easily adapted with whatever fresh and crunchy vegetables you have on hand. I like the addition of scallions, red bell pepper and carrots. I added a Granny Smith apple for a sweet and tangy unexpected flavor. You could always use red onion in place of the scallions in a pinch. They work just as well and provide a stronger flavor which some prefer.
Cole slaw is the perfect recipe to make ahead of time as the flavors tend to absorb better and the cabbage slightly softens overtime. I love this recipe when I'm hosting because I can make it well in advance and take it out of the fridge just before serving.
Cole slaw is easily my favorite way to enjoy cabbage. Cabbage is an inexpensive, low-calorie vegetable that provides dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K and other important antioxidants. One serving of purple cabbage contains more than half of your daily intake for vitamin C. It is part of the cruciferous family and is touted for its potential anti-aging and cancer-fighting properties.
I hope you all enjoy this healthy and allergy-friendly cole slaw recipe. If you give it a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine so I can see you enjoying your awesome creations.Print
This easy and vibrant cole slaw is tossed with the most creamy vegan dressing. You won't believe how satisfying this healthy side dish is.
- ½ green cabbage, finely chopped*
- ½ purple cabbage, finely chopped*
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 8 baby carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup tahini**
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ tablespoons agave
- 1 clove garlic, pressed through a garlic press or minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Place cabbage, scallions, bell pepper, granny smith apple and carrots in a large mixing bowl and set aside while you prepare the dressing.
- To prepare the dressing, place tahini, oil, water, agave, garlic, salt and pepper in a small glass jar and whisk vigorously until well incorporated. Pour over the veggies and stir well to combine.
- Serve immediately or place in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 4 days. Serve chilled.
* You can also shred the cabbage in a food processor if you prefer. I like it a bit chunkier so I tend to finely chop it by hand. Either works great.
** Make sure your tahini is creamy and runny as opposed to hard and dry.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish