This easy sauce recipe has just five ingredients and comes together in minutes. Green Onion Cashew Sauce is perfect for topping bowls, salads, roasted or grilled vegetables...or even as a dip for cut veggies!
Whenever I'm completely stumped on what to make for dinner, I try to keep it as simple as possible. I start quinoa or rice in the Instant Pot, dig through the refrigerator for veggies, and get the blender out to make this Easy Green Onion Cashew Sauce! It has just a couple ingredients and the perfect green onion flavor that pairs with any savory meal. It ties together a bowl of rice, veggies, and roasted chickpeas in the most delicious way (and without overpowering the dish)!
Ingredients in Easy Green Onion Cashew Sauce
This is an easy blender recipe that comes together in minutes. The ingredient list is short and simple and really lets the naturally flavorful green onion shine!
- Green onion - The star of the show! Use a cup of roughly chopped green onions. They're going in the blender, so no need to cut them evenly or carefully!
- Cashews - Go with raw, unsalted cashews. They provide the perfect base for this Green Onion Cashew Sauce!
- Lemon - Fresh is always best! You'll need the juice of one lemon.
- Distilled vinegar - A kitchen necessity! I always buy the biggest container available because it lasts so long and has so many uses.
- Salt - Just a pinch will do, but you can always adjust to taste as you go!
How to Use Cashews for Creamy Sauces
Cashews are one of my go-to ingredients as a vegan cook! I use them anytime I need a creamy base for a recipe, and they work in both sweet and savory recipes. The trick is to let them soak overnight! Once they're totally softened, they blend into a smooth, creamy, thick texture that is so versatile. To speed up the soaking time, you can pour boiling water over the cashews and let them soak for an hour or two. Read more about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews, and for a nut-free option, you can make Sunflower Seed Cream and use that instead.
All About Cashews
Another reason cashews are so good for vegans is that they're a great source of plant-based protein! Cashews are also incredibly nutrient dense. They are considered an excellent source of copper and a good source of magnesium, manganese, vitamin K, phosphorous, and zinc.
For more information on cashews, check out my complete guide on Cashews Benefits for Vegans (+ Recipes).
All About Green Onions
Green onions are really low in calories while bringing a flavor explosion to recipes! They're high in vitamin K while also being a good source of vitamins A and C. Green onions also provide manganese, iron, and calcium in every serving! Shop for green onions that have a vibrant green color and no visible soggy or mushy sections and firm white bulbs. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How to Use Green Onion Cashew Sauce
I love this simple, flavorful sauce in salads and bowls! It would be delicious over any of your favorite roasted veggies with a side of Perfectly Cooked Quinoa or Easy Coconut Rice. Top them with Crispy BBQ Roasted Chickpeas or Sweet and Spiced Roasted Chickpeas for a delicious vegan meal!
More Sauces and Condiments
Easy Homemade Vegan Cashew Cream
Creamy Vegan Cilantro Lime Garlic Sauce
Green Tahini Sauce
Three-Ingredient Vegan Homemade Honey Mustard
Vegan Greek Goddess Dressing
Vegan Parsley Arugula Walnut Pesto
Herbed Tahini Sauce
Creamy Dairy-Free Cilantro Jalapeno Lime Sauce
Easy Creamy Vegan Tahini Sauce
Dijon-Agave Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Green Onion Cashew Sauce is perfect for topping bowls, salads, roasted or grilled vegetables...or even as a dip for cut veggies!
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in advance*
- 1 cup roughly chopped green onions
- ¾ cup filtered water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend from low to high speed gradually. Leave on the highest speed for 60 seconds until perfectly smooth and creamy. Transfer to an airtight storage container and store in your refrigerator until ready for use. Use within one week.
- If you want to use right away, replace half the water with a handful or two of ice cubes. This way the sauce will be cold after the long blend (which heats the sauce from the speed of the blending).
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Blender
Keywords: creamy vegan sauce