Happy Margarita Day! These Fresh & Classic Margaritas are naturally sweetened and made with no refined sugar. They're full of bright lime flavor and we love them for celebrations or Cinco de Mayo! Don't forget to salt the rim, and cheers!
I just found out Monday is National Margarita Day! I don't know who makes up these holidays, but I do love any excuse to make a fancy drink...especially on a Monday! I've had this recipe for fresh classic margaritas on hand for a while and I'm so excited to finally add it to the blog. I love that it is refined sugar-free and uses all fresh ingredients for a delicious, fresh beverage. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
Naturally Sweetened Margarita
So many of the drink mixes you buy at the store are filled with added sugar and other ingredients. I used fresh lime juice, fresh orange juice, and a splash of pure maple syrup to naturally sweeten this margarita! I think the taste of fresh fruit makes it so much better than a margarita you'd order at a bar.
Fresh Classic Margaritas: Garnishes
It isn't a margarita without the garnishes, right? I like to use a wedge of lime to wet the rims of our glasses, then roll them in coarse salt. It makes for the perfect tang of salty-sweetness. Make sure you save a few lime wheels to place on the edge of your glass, too...paper umbrella optional!
Virgin Margarita Recipe
If the kids are joining us and want their own fancy drinks (or I'm not feeling like an adult beverage!), I replace the tequila with sparkling water. Our favorite is Topo Chico! They get so excited when they get a fun drink like mom and dad, and it's basically just fresh juice and sparkling water.
More Celebratory Drink Recipes
Love Potion #9: Sparkling Cherry Spritzer
Cherry Pomegranate Spritzer
Watermelon Mint Lime Agua Fresca
Grapefruit Vodka Tonics
Watermelon Mint Lime Slushies
Frozen Mint Lemonade
Strawberry Mint Lime Spritzers
Easy Fresh Squeezed Lemonade
Fresh Classic Margaritas (refined sugar-free / paleo)
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Happy Margarita Day! These Fresh Homemade Margaritas are made with fresh fruit and no refined sugar. They're full of bright lime flavor and we love them for celebrations or Cinco de Mayo! Don't forget to salt the rim, and cheers!
- 4 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (~ 4 limes)
- Optional: 2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice (~ 2 oranges)*
- 3 ounces tequila blanco (100% agave - such as 1800 silver tequila)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or Bee Free Honee**
- course salt for rim
- crushed or cubed ice (I love it with crushed)
- sparkling mineral water for topping off each glass (I love Topo Chico)
- lime rounds or lime wedges for garnish
- Shake everything well in a cocktail shaker.
- For a salted rim: Pour a layer of salt onto a plate just slightly larger than the top of your margarita glass. Use a lime wedge and run the wet edge of the lime along the rim of your glasses to lightly moisten the rim of three glasses. Dip the rim of the glasses in the salt and roll it around to catch the salt.
- Fill glasses halfway full of ice.
- Pour the margarita from the cocktail shaker into three glasses over the ice. Fill each glass about ⅔ full if you plan to top with sparkling water. If you do not want to top with sparkling water then fill two glasses all the way up!
- Add sparkling water to fill the glass to the top if using.
- Garnish each glass with lime wedges or lime wheels if desired. Enjoy immediately.
* The freshly squeezed orange juice can be used in place of orange liqueur which is used in many classic margarita recipes. I personally like it better without the orange and just use more lime juice here.
**Use more maple syrup for a sweeter drink. Add just 1 teaspoon at a time.
For a lime-sugar-salt rim: combine the zest of one lime with, 2 tablespoons course salt and 2 tablespoons maple sugar. You can use a mini food processor or small single serving blender to combine well.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Beverage
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: classic margarita recipe
Leave a Reply