This Vegan Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe is one of those desserts that makes everyone smile! It's made with gluten-free chocolate chip cookies and a plant-based vanilla ice cream filling that gets two thumbs up every time!
Did anyone else grow up eating Chipwich ice cream sandwiches? They're such a nostalgic treat made with classic ingredients, so everyone loves them! I remembered these classic ice cream sandwiches the other day and knew I could make a gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free version. That's how this Vegan Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe came to be! I used two of my all-time favorite dessert recipes (my Best Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies and Easy Blender Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream) to make a fun treat, so now my kids are just as obsessed as I was growing up.
The Best Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
This is one of the recipes I get the MOST messages about because people honestly cannot believe it's vegan. It's a Blender Vanilla Ice Cream made with coconut milk, cashews, coconut oil, pure maple syrup (a natural sweetener that keeps your ice cream free of refined sugar), and the hidden veggie...zucchini! Cashews are considered an excellent source of copper and a good source of magnesium, manganese, vitamin K, phosphorous and zinc. Zucchini is high in vitamins A and C as well as manganese, copper, and folate, so this is an ice cream that delivers some serious nutrition!
More vegan ice cream options:
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies for Ice Cream Sandwiches
The base of this Vegan Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe is my Chocolate Chip Cookies, which are made from oat flour and almond flour. This combination creates a fluffy texture with the perfect, slightly nutty flavor. Almonds are low in carbohydrates and high in protein in addition to containing fiber, healthy fats, vitamin E, magnesium, iron and calcium. Oats have more protein and healthful fats than other whole grains, but they're also lower in carbohydrates (according to the Whole Grains Council). Oats are full of soluble fiber and help me feel full longer, so I love that these cookies are good AND good for you!
Vegan Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe: How to Make
Making these ice cream cookie sandwiches is SUPER simple (scoop and smoosh together!), but the thing that I think makes them extra-super-duper special is rolling the edge in mini chocolate chips. It just makes them feel a little extra fancy, plus my kids go CRAZY for this finishing touch! There are TONS of mix-and-match options for this concept. You could try...
- Fudgy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (vegan + gluten-free) and No-Churn Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (my kids would go NUTS for this one!)
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and Easy No-Churn Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream (Vegan + Paleo)
- Dark Chocolate Chunk Almond Flour Cookies with Flaked Sea Salt and No-Churn Vegan Chocolate Banana Ice Cream (Nice Cream) (chocolatey and decadent!)
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chips
I've probably tried every plant-based chocolate chip on the market, and my very favorite is Hu brand! This is a delicious, rich chocolate with a short ingredient list, and they're even free of refined sugar...amazing! The chocolate gems and chocolate chips are both incredible options for recipes like this one. For the smaller chocolate chips around the edge of these sandwiches I opted for Enjoy Life mini chips, which stuck to the ice cream a little better!
I hope you make and love these Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches. It's quickly become a most-requested treat in my house...from both the kids and adults! If you do make this dessert it would be so helpful if you left a review below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see your delicious creations.
More Frozen Treats
- No-Bake Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cheesecake (Paleo + Refined Sugar-Free)
- Easy 5-Ingredient Vegan Peppermint Patties (gluten-free + paleo)
- No-Bake Vegan Paleo Pecan Pie Bars
- The Best Vegan Ice Cream Cake (paleo + gluten-free + refined sugar-free)
- Vegan Berries and Cream Popsicles
- Vegan Gluten-Free Lemon Bars (refined sugar-free)
- No-Bake Almond Butter Chocolate Crunch Bars
- Vegan Almond Butter Cups (refined sugar-free + gluten-free)
This Vegan Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe made with gluten-free chocolate cookies and a plant-based vanilla ice cream makes everyone smile!
- In advance: Make two batches of the chocolate chip cookies and place on a parchment lined baking sheet in the freezer for about an hour or until frozen solid. Make the ice cream in advance and store in the freezer.
- To assemble: Remove the ice cream from the freezer 1-2 hours before assembling. This will allow the ice cream to thaw out a bit and be easier to work with. Keep the cookies in the freezer until it is time to assemble the sandwiches. Place 1 batch of the cookies upside down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Use a cookie scoop to portion out one scoop (about ¼ cup) atop each of the 12 cookies. Use a spoon to gently spread the ice cream to the edges. Place another cookie (from the second batch) overtop the ice cream. Press gently in the center to make a compact sandwich. Repeat with the remaining cookies. You may have a little ice cream leftover depending on how thick you make your sandwiches. Store leftover ice cream separately in an airtight container in your freezer for up to three months.
- Roll the side of the ice cream sandwiches in a plate of mini vegan chocolate chips. You can enjoy immediately although it could be slightly messy. Alternatively, you can freeze for 1-2 hours once assembled to allow them to set.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
* Use mini vegan chocolate chips in the cookie recipe for best results. They are easier to bite into when frozen.
- Prep Time: 35
- Cook Time: 8
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer
Keywords: vegan chipwich