These easy no-bake almond butter brown rice crispy treats are the perfect hot-weather dessert or snack. Rice crispy treats are a total classic and always a crowd-pleaser.
No marshmallows are needed for this recipe. The squares bind together with almond butter. They set in the freezer and are stored there and served chilled.
The combination of the chewy almond butter crispy center and the chocolate shell reminds me of a crunchy almond butter cup. Sometimes I top them with flaked sea salt for that irresistible salty-sweet chocolate combination that is divine.
Almonds are low in carbohydrates and high in protein. They also offer fiber, healthy fats, vitamin E, magnesium, iron and calcium. See my complete guide on Almonds Benefits for Vegans for nutrition facts, health benefits and the many ways to incorporate almonds into your recipes!
Rice crispy treats are a childhood favorite dessert for sure and I find adults love them just as much as kids do.
I've been making these with my kids a lot this summer and they just love it. These would also make a great back-to-school treat.
This recipe is vegan, soy-free, peanut-free and gluten-free. To make them nut-free substitute sunflower seed butter for the almond butter. To make sure they are refined sugar-free make sure you use refined sugar-free rice crisp cereal and chocolate (see recipe for product suggestions). If you give these a try, please let me know! Leave a comment below, rate it above, and tag a photo @eatingbyelaine and #eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your treats!
More Rice Crispy Treat Recipes:
- No-Bake Almond Butter Chocolate Crunch Bars
- Easy No-Bake Frosted Vegan Rice Crispy Treats (refined sugar-free)
- Chocolate Heart Rice Crispy Treats (vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free)
@eatingbyelaine Vegan and Gluten-free Brown Rice Crispy Treats #homemadericecrispy #ricecrispytreats #veganricecrispytreats #chocolatesnack ♬ Music For a Sushi Restaurant - Harry Styles
This more nutritious version of the classic childhood rice crispy treat is super simple to make. They are basically like no-bake almond butter rice crisp granola bars with a thin dark chocolate shell. I love to enjoy them straight out of the freezer for a snack or dessert.
For the almond butter rice crispy treats:
- 1 cup runny unsweetened, unsalted creamy raw almond butter (a new jar works best here)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 3 cups gluten-free brown rice crisp cereal (I love One Degree Organics gluten-free sprouted brown rice crispy cereal - it is lightly sweetened with coconut sugar keeping it refined sugar-free)
For the chocolate topping:
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the almond butter, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and well combined, about 1 minute. Next stir in the brown rice crisp cereal until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, and use a spatula to flatten the top so it is even and well compact. Alternatively, you could place a new sheet of parchment paper overtop the treats and then use the bottom of a glass to press the mixture down without it sticking to the bottom of the glass.
- To melt the chocolate, place the chocolate in a microwave safe measuring cup and heat for 2 minutes. Stir well and pour the melted chocolate over the bars. Use a mini spatula to spread out the chocolate evenly into one thin layer overtop the crispy treats.
- Place pan in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Use a sharp knife to cut into 16 square bars and serve.
- The rice crispy treats can be stored covered in the freezer for up to one month. The treats will soften at room temperature within 10-20 minutes but should stay together. I prefer eating them straight out of the freezer.
- You could use half the amount of melted chocolate and drizzle overtop in a zig-zag pattern.
- You could garnish the top of the rice crispy treats with hemp seeds, flaked sea salt or unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dessert or Snack
- Method: Freezer
Keywords: Vegan Almond Butter Rice Crispy Treats