Refried beans, vegan sour cream, cashew queso, guacamole, pico de gallo, sliced olives, and green onions all layer up to create a Vegan 7-Layer Dip! It's perfect for game day or any time you need a crowd-pleasing appetizer. Grab your favorite tortilla chips and dig in!
Can you believe this is one of the first times I've ever had 7-Layer Dip? I love Mexican food, and we make each of the elements of this dip independently, but I'd never layered them up like this before! I knew before the first bite that this would be a hit with my family, though. My Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce is one of Bobby's all-time favorite recipes, and the kids are huge fans of both Chipotle Guacamole and Salsa Fresca. Everyone was dancing around the kitchen in anticipation before I even cracked open the first bag or tortilla chips! I can already tell this is going to be one of the most-requested dips anytime we need some good football food or a fun appetizer.
Ingredients in Vegan 7-Layer Dip
This recipe is kind of a mash-up of a few of my favorite dips and sauces! They're all made from scratch, but it actually comes together pretty quickly. Most of these recipes have just a handful of fresh ingredients. Some are also easy to prepare ahead of time so when you're ready to eat all you have to do is layer it up and start dipping!
- Easy Creamy Refried Beans - This recipe is a super easy way to make vegan refried beans that are super creamy and perfect for using in tostadas, taquitos, or as a dip for chips!
- Vegan Sour Cream - Both my sour cream and my queso recipes have a cashew base, so start soaking your cashews ASAP! You can also sub a store-bought vegan sour cream. I love Kite Hill brand.
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce - Vegan Queso is surprisingly easy to make, and this recipe blows everyone away!
- Homemade Guacamole - My Chiptole-copycat guacamole recipe is really easy to customize so it's exactly as spicy as you like it. You could also use four avocados for a simpler layer of diced (or mashed) avocado!
- Pico de Gallo - Everyone loves pico! This recipe has just four fresh ingredients, but every time I make it my whole family gathers around the bowl and raves about how good it is.
- Sliced Black Olives - Canned olives work great here! Give them a quick drain and rinse and they're ready to go.
- Green Onions - I like to dice the green onions small for this recipe. I love how they mix with the olives and the optional garnishes for a flavorful top layer.
- Cilantro and Jalapeno - These are both garnishes, so you can adjust for how zesty and spicy you want your dip! I love the pop of green and varied texture they add to the top of this vegan 7-Layer Dip. You could also use chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce for added crunch.
How to Make Vegan Nacho Cheese
Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce is kind of a vegan unicorn...no one really believes that it's as good as the real thing until they try it and have their minds BLOWN! My version has a cashew base (the secret is to soak your cashews! Learn more about How (and Why) to Soak Cashews right here), a hidden veggie, and the perfect blend of nutritional yeast and seasonings to achieve a tangy, perfectly cheesy flavor and color. Bobby absolutely LOVES the recipe. Seriously...if we weren't already married, I think he would have proposed on the spot the first time he tried this queso. If you want to skip the homemade, I recommend Kite Hill brand Vegan Queso - Bobby and my daughter Riley also love that one!
Easy Creamy Refried Beans
The base for this Vegan 7-Layer Dip is my recipe for Easy Creamy Refried Beans. Canned refried beans would work just fine here as well; spread it onto the bottom of your serving bowl. If you make my refried bean recipe (highly recommend!), you only need an onion and two cans of pinto beans. Everything else is probably already in your spice cabinet! I love making my own refried beans because I can control the texture and flavor of the finished product.
Vegan Sour Cream for Layered Taco Dip
This dip also has a Vegan Sour Cream that's made with a cashew base. The Vegan Sour Cream is similar to my Cashew Cream recipe, but it has a bit of lemon and apple cider vinegar added in for the tang that you would expect with sour cream! Having cashew-based ingredients in this dip adds incredible nutrients and plant-based protein. Cashews are considered an excellent source of copper and a good source of magnesium, manganese, vitamin K, phosphorous and zinc.
Homemade Chipotle Guacamole
Up near the top of this 7-Layer Dip is my Homemade Chipotle Guacamole! This recipe is such a classic, and I love that it adds such awesome nutrients thanks to the avocados. Avocados contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and nutrients that actually reduce your cholesterol levels, promote healthy vision and potentially protect against cancer. They contain folate, vitamins E, C, and B6. Plus, they are high in dietary fiber – great for overall heart health and digestion. Avocados also contain 60% more potassium per ounce than bananas!
Vegan Walnut Taco Meat
If you want to add even more substance, protein, texture, and amazing flavor, try making a batch of my Vegan Walnut Taco Meat! This simple recipe is made with soaked walnuts and a handful of seasonings that create a really satisfying meat substitute. I love to use it in tacos or as a nacho topping, and I think it would be great in between the sour cream and queso layers!
This dip is one of my new favorite appetizers, and I hope you love it too! Please tag me on Instagram if you make it so I can applaud every awesome layer you make, and don't forget to drop a review below to help other home cooks! If you want more delicious and easy plant-based recipes in your cooking rotation, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter for exclusive freebies and useful content every week.
More Game Day Appetizers & Snacks
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Best Vegan Whipped Feta Dip
- Quick & Easy Creamy Hummus
- Actually Crispy BBQ Roasted Chickpeas
- Creamy Vegan Cinnamon Vanilla Fruit Dip
- Vegan French Onion Dip with Caramelized Onions
- Sweet & Salty Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Healthy Maple Candied Pecans
- Sheet Pan Vegan Nachos
- Easy Vegan Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Actually Crispy Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Vegan Sweet Potato Quinoa Tots
- Easy Vegan Tostadas
- Easy Vegan Baked Taquitos
Layer refried beans, vegan sour cream, cashew queso, guacamole, pico de gallo, sliced olives, and green onions to create Vegan 7-Layer Dip!
- ½ batch homemade refried beans (or substitute 1 heaping cup canned refried beans)
- 1 batch vegan sour cream (or substitute store-bought vegan sour cream)
- ½ batch vegan nacho cheese sauce (or queso)
- 1.5 batches homemade guacamole (use 4 large avocados)
- 1 batch homemade pico de gallo (salsa fresca)
- ⅓ cup sliced black olives
- 2 green onions, diced
- cilantro and jalapeno slices for garnish
- optional: add a layer between the vegan sour cream and vegan nacho cheese sauce of my vegan walnut taco meat
- Add an even layer of refried beans to the bottom of a 7-cup serving bowl (or glass storage container). I like to make the refried beans in advance and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Add a layer of the vegan sour cream overtop the refried beans. Gently spread into one even layer using a spatula. I make this in advance so it has time to chill and thicken overnight in the refrigerator.
- Add the optional layer of vegan walnut taco meat if using. I like this layer to be at room temperature or slightly warm if possible.
- Add the vegan nacho cheese sauce in one even layer overtop the vegan sour cream. I like to make this in advance and refrigerate for a couple of hours before assembling if possible.
- Add the guacamole over the nacho cheese. I like to make this just before assembling to avoid browning. I use avocados that have been chilled in advance for best results.
- Add a layer of pico de gallo (salsa fresca) overtop the guacamole. I like to make this an hour or two before assembling to allow the flavors to meld and for the salsa to chill in the refrigerator. If you don't have time for this then store your tomatoes in the refrigerator before using. You can also use store bought salsa here if desired but I love the chunky fresh flavor of salsa fresca in this dip.
- Sprinkle sliced black olives and diced green onions overtop. Garnish with a little cilantro and jalapeno if desired. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The guacamole will stay somewhat fresh since it is sandwiched between other layers and the air won't hit it as much. It won't look as pretty on day two and beyond but it will taste good. It is of course best when fresh.
- Prep Time: 15
Keywords: vegan 7 layer dip