If you are looking for an end of summer refresher, this is it!
Zesty, tart, fresh lemon juice combined with sweet, herby mint and lots of ice will leave you cool, refreshed and hydrated.
I was inspired last summer by Cookie + Kate’s Limonanas (frozen mint lemonade’s are called Limonana in the Middle East). I wanted to create a refined sugar-free version so I could sip on it more often. This one is simply sweetened with Medjool dates and is still perfection.
This recipe is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free and nut-free.Print
This icy cold treat is sure to help you beat the late August heat! All you need is your blender and you are minutes away from this slushy mint lemonade.
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice from about 3–4 large juicy lemons
- 1.5 cups fresh mint leaves (lightly packed, no stems) – plus more mint for garnish
- 1/2 cup cold filtered water
- 3 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 4 cups ice cubes*
- In a high speed blender puree lemon juice, mint, water, dates and two cups of ice until everything is combined (about 15-20 seconds). Taste and adjust to your liking. You may want to add one more date to make it sweeter, the juice of another lemon for more tartness, or more fresh mint for an herby, fresh cool flavor.
- Add the final two cups of ice and blend again for 10-15 seconds. You want everything to be smooth and slushy but you don’t want to over-blend or it will get too watery from the heat of the blender.
- Divide into four glasses and garnish with fresh mint. Serve immediately with a spoon or straw.
* You may want to add 1-2 more cups of ice depending on how frosty/slushy you like it.
This beverage is best enjoyed immediately after serving.
I haven’t tried it yet but fresh lime juice might also work well in this recipe in place of the fresh lemon juice.
Add a splash of vodka, rum or gin for a summery adult beverage. Top with sparkling water for some light fizz.
- Category: Beverage