If you are looking for an end of summer refresher, this paleo Frozen Mint Lemonade (Limonana) is it! This easy recipe is made in your blender with just three ingredients plus water and ice! It is refined sugar-free and the perfect drink to cool you down on hot days!
Zesty, tart, fresh lemon juice combined with sweet, herby mint and lots of ice will leave you cool, refreshed and hydrated.
I was inspired by Cookie + Kate’s Limonanas (frozen mint lemonade’s are called Limonana in the Middle East). I wanted to create a refined sugar-free version so I could sip on it more often. This one is simply sweetened with Medjool dates and is still perfection.
This recipe is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free and nut-free.
If you are looking for an end of summer refresher, this paleo Frozen Mint Lemonade (Limonana) is it! This easy recipe is made in your blender with just three ingredients plus water and ice! It is refined sugar-free and the perfect slushie refreshing drink to cool you down on hot days!
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice from about 3–4 large juicy lemons
- 1 1/2 cups cold filtered water
- 3 large Medjool dates, pitted (or 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup)
- 4 cups crushed ice cubes*
- 1.5 cups fresh mint leaves (lightly packed, no stems) – plus more mint for garnish
- In a high speed blender puree lemon juice, water, dates and two cups of ice until everything is combined (about 15-20 seconds). Add mint and blend briefly for 10 seconds (overblending mint can make it taste bitter or soapy).
- Taste and adjust the flavors and texture to your liking. You may want to add one more date (or a touch more maple syrup) to make it sweeter, the juice of another lemon for more tartness, or more fresh mint for an herby, fresh cool flavor.
- Add the final two cups of ice and blend again for 10-15 seconds. You want everything to be smooth and slushy but you don’t want to over-blend or it will get too watery from the heat of the blender.
- Divide into four glasses and garnish with fresh mint. Serve immediately with a spoon or straw.
* You may want to add 1-2 more cups of ice depending on how frosty/slushy you like it.
This beverage is best enjoyed immediately after serving.
I haven’t tried it yet but fresh lime juice might also work well in this recipe in place of the fresh lemon juice.
Add a splash of vodka, rum or gin for a summery adult beverage. Top with sparkling water for some light fizz.
- Category: Beverage