Welcome! I’m Elaine, and I started this recipe blog to share nutritious, family-friendly, allergy-friendly, plant-based foods.
As a Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) through the National Commission of Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC), I am passionate about providing you with delicious dishes that promote health and wellness…while accommodating allergies and food sensitivities!
On Eating by Elaine you’ll find easy recipes, healthy eating resources, and meal inspiration to effortlessly incorporate whole foods into your day. My recipes use fresh, whole ingredients and stay away from all things artificial. I also avoid the eight most common food allergens and refined sugars in the majority of my recipes and will offer substitutions wherever possible. I want to make healthy eating approachable, simple, and enjoyable so you can lead a balanced life!
Credentials & Education
- Master of Public Health (MPH) degree
- Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) through the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC)
- All health information presented on my blog is researched from reputable, evidence-based sources including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute of Health (NIH), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This is so important to me!
- Years of healthy cooking and eating! I love experimenting with fresh ingredients to make the most of each meal. I take comfort in the knowledge that the food I eat is improving my health.
- I’ve been featured in The Washington Post, BuzzFeed, InStyle magazine, and Oprah.com. You can view my published recipes and articles here.
My Nutrition Story & Philosophy
After growing up in a family full of food allergies and years of struggling with food allergies and food sensitivities myself, I have learned to cook nutritious meals that accommodate everyone. The recipes on Eating by Elaine are the product of a lifetime of experimenting with recipes! Eating healthy is a way of life for me, though I don’t believe that nutrition needs to be binary. Simple swaps, rather than an all-or-nothing lifestyle, can make you feel incredible! At any moment in your day, you can have a healthy eating moment. The more we add those moments into your lifestyle, the less restrictive and more attainable nutritious eating becomes.
My Core Cooking Beliefs
All the recipes on my blog are vegan (meat-free, dairy-free and egg-free), gluten-free, peanut-free, corn-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free. Many of them are also paleo, grain-free and nut-free as well! I base my recipe development on these core beliefs:
- Any recipe can get a “makeover” with alternative, plant-based ingredients that keep the same delicious flavor. Simple ingredient swaps are the key to making your favorite dishes healthier!
- Incorporating fruits, vegetables, plant-based protein, and whole grains will provide you with the important nutrients and fiber your body needs.
- Herbs, spices, and fresh, natural ingredients add distinctive and delightful flavors to healthier versions of any dish.
- Involving your little ones in the cooking process helps them learn important skills, encourages them to try the foods they’ve prepared, and creates invaluable bonding experiences for the whole family!
Where to Start
The best place to start is on my Vegan Eating Resource Guide! I have so many roundups, meal plans and recipes that I know it can feel a little overwhelming at first. This map will help you narrow in and find what you’re looking for right now! You can also use my Search Page to filter recipes by dietary restriction, holiday, or type. If you're hoping to add more nutrition-filled smoothies to your life (bonus: they all taste like treats!), I think you'd love my cookbook Rock Your Blender! It's available as an instant download eBook or on Amazon.
Let's Be Friends!
The best way to follow along with my latest cooking adventures and kitchen fun is to join me on Instagram. I’m usually in my kitchen in Baltimore, MD with my three young children or my husband Bobby! You can also see my videos on TikTok, or join my email list and get exclusive content, early access to recipes, and bonus resources.
Many product links throughout my site are affiliate links, which means that if you click and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you! I only recommend products that I use regularly in my kitchen and truly love. Thank you SO much for supporting Eating by Elaine. All images, recipes and content on this site are property of Elaine Gordon and may not be used without permission. This site is for information purposes only and is not intended for diagnosis, treatment or any other medical application. Questions should always be directed to your personal physician.
Marianne Ferenczy says
I'm wondering if there is something I should be doing in order to print out your recipes.
For some reason it prints out in what looks like some kind of asian language.
Love your recipes... thank you!
Elaine Gordon says
Oh no! I'm so sorry, Marianne! That is so strange... I just tested it on my computer and it was English. I wonder if it is a setting in your browser? Please email me a screenshot of what you are seeing and I can troubleshoot more with you: email@example.com. And thank you - I'm happy to hear you enjoy my recipes. I hope we can get this technical issue worked out for you soon! Best, Elaine