This recipe went viral on TikTok and there's a reason everyone loves it! This easy 15-minute cowboy caviar is filled with black beans, black-eyed peas, fresh veggies and summery Southwestern flavor. I promise that one chip won't be enough...you'll be dipping until it's gone!
Remember when everyone on TikTok was going crazy for cowboy caviar? I'm totally there! This veggie-filled dip is super flavorful and it's so colorful that it's a great dish to bring to picnics, potlucks, parties and barbecues. You can even add a tropical fruit such as mango in to amplify the summertime sweetness. Trust me...you're gonna love this easy cowboy caviar recipe!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Clean, healthy and plant-based ingredients
- Easy to make - just mix and serve cold
- Inexpensive yet a total crowdpleaser
- Versatile - can serve as a dip or a side
- Tastes even better the next day!
Cowboy Caviar Ingredients
At first glance, the best viral TikTok cowboy caviar recipe kind of looks like a Pico de Gallo dip...but the truth is, it's packed with so much more than a classic salsa! This dip has an entire rainbow of veggies that all come together to make each and every bite a total experience.
- Bell peppers - Use one of every color to really make this dish a rainbow of veggies!
- Black beans - Drain and rinse your black beans before adding them into the bowl. I love that this flavorful, light snack gets a healthy dose of plant-based protein thanks to the black beans!
- Black-Eyed Peas - Another source of plant-based nutrition with fiber, magnesium, and zinc! I usually eat these in January with black eyed pea salsa for good luck in the new year, but I enjoy them year round!
- Onions - I use both green and red onion to add an incredible depth of flavor and tons of color to every bite.
- Jalapeños - Pull the stems and seeds, then finely dice the jalapeño. It's worth the extra minute or two to have the finest diced jalapeño you can get!
- Mango - I love using yellow Atalufo mangoes. They're juicy and sweet! You could also swap (or include!) pineapples or peaches to get that bright color and cheerful flavor.
- Yellow Corn - I'm allergic to corn, so I omit this ingredient and just enjoy the mango...but the classic, original cowboy caviar has yellow corn so I included it in this recipe!
- Cilantro - I pull the big stems off and chop the rest finely so it distributes perfectly into the entire dish.
- Avocado - While everything else in Cowboy Caviar can be prepped ahead of time, wait until right before serving to add your avocado in so it stays bright and green!
- Vegan feta - I love the VioLife brand for vegan cheeses. You could also use a vegan Cotija cheese if you want more Southwestern vibes!
- Black olives - These add an irresistible briny flavor that take it over the top.
Dressing for Easy Cowboy Caviar
I always finish my favorite recipes off with a really good sauce or dressing! While some people go for just a basic Italian dressing, nothing beats fresh and homemade. For this dish, I took a classic homemade dressing and added my homemade taco seasoning to really boost the Southwestern flavor.
This dressing is super simple to make. Whisk olive oil, a splash of maple syrup, lime juice, garlic and taco seasoning until it's thoroughly blended! You can also add all the ingredients to a mason jar and shake.
This recipe is so simple that it is almost self-explanatory. It really just requires mixing the ingredients together and serving cold!
- Prepare the ingredients. Drain and rinse the black beans and black-eyed peas, finely dice the veggies (and fruit, if using) and chop the fresh cilantro.
- Combine all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Make the dressing and add to the mixing bowl
- Toss everything together.
- Serve! Serve immediately or refrigerate for 2-3 hours to serve cold.
- If you have the time, make in advance! Not only does this dish taste better served cold, but the flavors also tend to blend together if it sits for a few hours.
- Vary the ingredients. This dish is fun and doesn't require much structure. Feel free to add other diced vegetables, different types of beans or a juicy fruit such as peaches or pineapple.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This dish should not be frozen.
All About Black Beans
I love that this plant-based dip also has some great protein added in thanks to black beans. They're one of my pantry staples that do it all! Black beans are considered a legume and part of both the protein and vegetable group (so important for vegans!).
They also provide dietary fiber and important nutrients such as iron and zinc. Black beans are also versatile (use for black bean soup, black bean dip or Mexican quinoa salad), budget-friendly and easy to store, making them a pantry item I always keep on hand!
All About Bell Peppers
I use yellow, red, AND orange bell peppers in this cowboy caviar to add tons of color, crunch, and that subtle sweetness throughout.
Red peppers are my go-to; they contain 11 times more beta carotene and four times more vitamin C than green bell peppers. Vitamin C helps heal cuts and wounds and keep teeth and gums healthy. Beta carotene benefits your immune system, vision, skin health and bone health.
Red bell peppers also contain lycopene, an important phytochemical, which could benefit prostate and heart health, according to the Produce for Better Health Foundation. I would recommend buying a couple extra bell peppers, slicing them into thick strips, and using them as chips to enjoy the finished cowboy caviar!
My favorite way to eat cowboy caviar is with chips, but it's also delicious in a wrap, taco, burrito, or even spooned on top of a salad or slice of toast! It never lasts long in my house.
This recipe is vegan (no eggs or dairy!), gluten-free, refined sugar-free, has a corn-free option, and it's incredibly tasty. If you make it, be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations, and drop a review below letting me know what you think!
More Vegan Dips & Salsas
- Best Vegan 7-Layer Dip (paleo)
- Chipotle Guacamole (Copycat)
- Strawberry Salsa
- Creamy Vegan Black Bean Dip
- Best Vegan Whipped Feta Dip
- Easy Paleo Zucchini "Hummus" (no chickpeas)
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Best Peach Salsa - quick and easy!
- Creamy Vegan Cinnamon Vanilla Fruit Dip
This easy cowboy caviar is filled with summery Southwestern flavor.
For the cowboy caviar
- 3 bell peppers (one red, one yellow and one orange), stem and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- ½ large red onion, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 2 jalapeños, stems and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 yellow mango (atalufo mango variety ideally - or sub peach or pineapple)
- 1 cup frozen or roasted yellow corn*
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro, large stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado, diced (add just before serving)
- 1 cup vegan feta cheese, crumbled (or vegan cojita cheese)
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- optional add-in: jarred sweet and spicy jalapeño slices, diced
- Add all cowboy caviar ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a mason jar and shake well to combine. Pour over the cowboy caviar and mix well.
- Enjoy immediately with chips. You can also serve in tacos/wraps/burritos, on salads or on toast.
*I'm allergic to corn so I leave this out but the classic dip calls for it.
This dish is even better served cold! Refrigerate for 2-3 hours if possible. This will also allow the flavors to continue to blend together.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 4 days. Toss well before enjoying.
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Southwest
Keywords: tiktok cowboy caviar recipe