Welcome! Here I’m sharing a bit about me and why I started this blog!
Eating by Elaine is my recipe blog dedicated to nutritious, family-friendly, plant-based and allergy-friendly recipes. After growing up in a family full of food allergies and years of struggling with food allergies and food sensitivities myself, I have learned to cook nutritious meals that accommodate everyone.
My recipes use fresh, whole ingredients and stay away from all things artificial. I also avoid the eight most common food allergens and refined sugars in the majority of my recipes and will offer substitutions wherever possible. All the recipes on my blog are vegan (meat-free, dairy-free and egg-free), gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free. Many of them are also paleo, grain-free and nut-free as well.
The concept of Eating by Elaine came from a lifetime of experimenting with recipes! Eating healthy is a way of life for me, and my goal is to teach you how simple swaps (rather than a complete diet overhaul) can make you feel incredible. I believe small steps lead to big results! Healthy eating does not have to be binary. Anyone, on any day, can have a healthy eating moment. The more we add those moments to your day, the more attainable and less restrictive nutritious eating becomes. Moving away from an “all or nothing” mentality makes healthy eating so much easier to maintain!
Eating by Elaine Healthy Eating Pillars
- There are alternative cooking methods that can help “makeover” any recipe.
- Incorporating more fruits, vegetables, plant-based protein and whole grains into recipes adds important nutrients and fiber to your diet.
- Simple ingredient swaps are the key to making your favorite dishes healthier.
- Herbs, spices and fresh ingredients add distinctive and delightful flavors to make healthier versions of any dish.
The overall goal of my recipes is to make healthy eating approachable, simple and enjoyable so that anyone can lead a healthy, happy and balanced life.
- Master of Public Health (MPH) degree
- Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) through the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC)
- All health information presented on my blog is researched from reputable, evidence-based sources including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute of Health (NIH), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Years of healthy cooking and eating! I love experimenting with fresh ingredients to make the most of each meal. I take comfort in the knowledge that the food I eat is improving my health.
- I’ve been featured in The Washington Post, BuzzFeed, InStyle magazine, and Oprah.com. You can view my published recipes and articles here.
I live in Baltimore, MD with my husband Bobby and our three young children, who can often be found in the kitchen cooking with me. Involving my kids in the cooking process helps them learn important skills and makes them want to eat the food they have worked so hard to prepare. Cooking with kids is actually really fun and rewarding (despite the mess!). I love including my little ones in my ongoing kitchen experiments and adventures.
Where to Start
You can also use the search bar at the top of my site to narrow your search! You can view all my recipes here and filter recipes by ingredient, season, holiday, allergy…there’s a lot to explore!