These Grilled Sweet Potato Fries are mega crispy and incredibly flavorful on the outside and perfectly tender on the inside. Grilling sweet potato fries is my favorite method with truly the best results. It’s a simple side dish that pairs well with just about anything and is incredibly addictive and satisfying.
Grilled Sweet Potato Fries
These Grilled Sweet Potato Fries are a delicious and easy side dish made extra special with my favorite fry seasoning mix. My simple grilling recipe produces roasted sweet potato spears that are ultra-crispy and golden brown on the outside and seasoned to perfection for amazing flavor and texture in every bite.
Why Grill Sweet Potato Fries?
This is my new favorite method for sweet potato fries and here is why:
- During the summer months I don’t want to heat up the house more with the oven and our grill is usually fired up most nights anyways.
- The fries cook evenly on all four sides since you can use tongs to rotate the fries as they cook.
- Less burning! As soon as the smaller and thinner fries are finished cooking you can pull them right off the grill. This way none of them get overcooked.
- Cook time! Sweet potato fries cook faster on the grill.
- You’ll get a charred flavor from the grill that’s just incredible.
- There is a mega crisp from the grill, which is much crispier than oven-baked fries for sure.
- Spend more time outside!
- How GOOD do those grill marks look?!
Are you convinced yet? I sure hope so because these grilled sweet potato fries are a total fry game changer for me personally and I want everyone to share in the grilled sweet potato glory this grilling season.
Ingredients for Grilled Sweet Potato Fries
This recipe only requires a couple of common pantry staples, and I almost always have these ingredients on hand!
- sweet potato
- extra virgin olive oil
- dried seasonings: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika salt and pepper
Pretty straight forward and simple, right? These grilled sweet potato fries will taste fantastic all on their own, but if you really want to level-up the flavor, go ahead and serve with this homemade vegan honey mustard sauce. They also pair well with hummus, tahini sauce, sesame seeds, hemp seeds or quinoa.
What are the health benefits of sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables to incorporate into recipes whenever possible. Their vibrant orange color lets you know you are getting all that immune-boosting vitamin A (also helpful for vision and bone health). You’re also getting dietary fiber, potassium, and they’re high in vitamin C. Sweet potatoes are convenient and versatile and somehow serve as both a comfort food and health food all at once.
Compared to russet potatoes, sweet potatoes have similar calorie content but offer more fiber. Plus, one medium sweet potato offers almost 700% of your daily recommend intake of vitamin A, while russets offer none. Sweet potatoes offer almost double the amount of vitamin C as compared to russets. (Source)
Round out your grilling menu with these plant-based recipes:
- Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Tzatziki Potato Salad
- Garlic Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Grilled Avocados Stuffed with Quinoa Mango Salad
- Easy No-Churn Blender Vanilla Ice Cream
- Fresh Squeezed Lemonade
Want more sweet potato recipes?
- 10 Tips for Actually Crispy Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sesame-Cilantro Roasted Sweet Potatoes Drizzled with Creamy Tahini Sauce
- Creamy Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas
Now, let’s get to making these amazing Grilled Sweet Potato Fries!Print
These Grilled Sweet Potato Fries are mega crispy and incredibly flavorful on the outside and perfectly tender on the inside. Grilling sweet potato fries is my favorite method with truly the best results. This simple side dish pairs well with just about anything and is incredibly addictive and satisfying.
- 2 sweet potatoes (14 ounces total), peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine salt (after grilling)
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut off either end of the sweet potato and cut the sweet potato into long 1/2-inch thick spears. Ideally you want them evenly sized. I also recommend squaring off the pointy tips so they don’t burn.
- In a large bowl toss sweet potato spears, oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and pepper until all spears are evenly and well coated.
- Once the grill is preheated, place the sweet potato spears either directly on the grill or on a veggie grill basket or tray.
- Grill for about two minutes per side (on all four sides) over medium heat with an open grill. Cooking time varies slightly based on the thickness of your spears so watch carefully at the end to avoid burning. Each fry is done when all sides are golden brown with grill marks. They might not all finish cooking at the same time and that is okay. You can simply remove them from the grill as they are ready.
- When the fries are done cooking, remove them from the grill and wait five minutes. Season with salt and wait another 5 minutes. Waiting the full ten minutes allows them to crisp up even more so try and resist eating right away. Enjoy immediately as they are best when fresh.
- Serve with ketchup or my Homemade 3-Ingredient Vegan Honey Mustard Sauce
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grill
Keywords: grilled sweet potato fries
Subscribe to the Eating by Elaine Weekly e-Newsletter and receive simple, nutritious recipes in your inbox every week!
You can visit my Shop page for a complete listing of all my favorite kitchen and cooking products.