Vegan Comfort Food...does it sound like an oxymoron? I promise it's possible, and I have the recipes to show you how it's done! From creamy and cheesy pasta dishes to savory soups to rich and chocolatey treats, these are the recipes that bring me back to childhood.
The more I asked around, the more I realized that comfort food means different things to different people! There were a few consistent answers across the board, though: hearty soups (broccoli cheddar and chicken noodle were the two most common, and I've got versions of both linked below!), macaroni and cheese (check!), and potatoes. Lots and lots of potatoes! For me, it's cozy recipes that warm me up and bring me back to childhood...and chocolate. I'm a total chocoholic! Keep scrolling for Gluten-Free and Vegan Comfort Food recipes that will warm you from the inside out.
Soup for the Soul
Chickpea Soup for the Soul has all of the brothy, herbed comfort of chicken noodle soup, but I used chickpeas for a plant-based protein! I've also got a creamy broccoli soup, chilis, and stews loaded with fresh veggies and big-time flavor.
- Chickpea Soup for the Soul...the classic, the favorite, the MVP!
- Chili! I love both Three Bean Chili and Vegan Pumpkin Chili.
- For soups filled with veggies, try Spicy Red Lentil Veggie Stew, Moroccan Tomato & Chickpea Soup, Quinoa Minestrone Soup, or Vegan Thai Coconut Curry Soup with Zoodles.
- Creamy, smooth soups: Vegan Split Pea Soup, Creamy Carrot & Ginger Soup, Creamy Split Pea Turmeric & Red Lentil Veggie Soup, or Speedy Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup, and Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup are all favorites.
Vegan Comfort Food Pasta Recipes
Comfort food, to me, is pasta. All pasta! I love it so much, and once I found gluten-free pasta brands I loved, it opened up a whole new world of recipe possibilities. I love the brands Jovial and Andean Dream for gluten-free pasta. If you haven't yet found a gluten-free pasta you love, don't give up! There are so many options on the market now, I promise you'll find one you love.
- Caramelized Onion & Apple Pasta with Sage
- Easy No-Boil Baked Ziti with Veggies
- The Best Italian Vegan Meatballs Ever!
- Vegan Baked Cheesy Spaghetti Squash with Broccoli
- Easy Creamy Vegan Pasta Sauce
- Creamy Vegan Garlic Pumpkin Pasta
- One-Skillet Baked Butternut Squash Pasta
- Creamy Butternut Squash Risotto (no rice!)
- Vegan Chickpea Bolognese Spaghetti Squash
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
Warm & Comforting Vegan Drinks
If "comfort" to you means curling up with a warm mug in your hand, I've got a couple favorites perfect for sipping and smiling. These are all dairy-free (most made with Homemade Almond Milk!), and while I avoid caffeine since it's a migraine trigger, you could absolutely add a shot of espresso to any of these recipes for an extra kick.
Potato Comfort Food Dishes
There's something about potatoes that's just so universal! I think everyone loves a good potato dish, whether it's creamy mashed potatoes, flavorful potato salad, or crispy roasted potatoes. I even have a friend whose sick day comfort food is a bowl of brothy soup with a spoonful of mashed potatoes inside! These recipes are full of starchy, creamy, potato-filled comfort, and I'm positive you'll find one to love.
- Mashed potatoes...everyone's favorite! I have Best Vegan Mashed Potatoes, Instant Pot Whipped Sweet Potatoes, and Instant Pot Vegan Mashed Potatoes, and they're all an absolute hit every time.
- Vegan Tzatziki Potato Salad or Lemon Olive Oil and Dill Potato Salad
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes, Mini Hasselback Potatoes with Vegan Garlic Aioli, or Extra Crispy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes
- Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries (actually crispy!) or Vegan Sweet Potato Quinoa Tots for snacking.
Cheesey Vegan Comfort Foods
Say cheese! Everyone loves a cheesy dish, and vegans are no exception. Since I don't eat dairy, though, I rely on vegan versions! I've got nacho, ricotta, mozzarella...all of the delicious recipes you need to make vegan comfort food.
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce...put it on Sheet Pan Vegan Nachos!
- Homemade Vegan Ricotta Cheese for lasagna or Protein-Packed Avocado Toast. Yum!
- Easy Vegan Mozzarella Cheese to put on Cast Iron Skillet Pizza Crust, Skillet White Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Roasted Garlic, & Basil, Easy Vegan Zucchini Pizza Bites, Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, with different Healthy Halloween Toast Varieties, or rolled into Oven Baked Taquitos.
Sweet treats! Is comfort food all savory and flavorful, or do you love something chocolatey and sweet on a day when you need a little extra love? Chocolate is a total comfort food for me, so I made sure to include plenty of chocolate along with cookies, puddings, muffins, and my favorite sautéed apples.
- Cookies that everyone loves: Soft & Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Fluffy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cookies, Cranberry and Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies, Classic Chocolate Chunk Cookies or Vegan Snickerdoodles.
- Chocolate! This is a must-have for me when I want comfort food. Try: Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles, Chocolate Granola, Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream, Easy Two-Tier Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake, Vegan Gluten-Free Brownies
- Easy Sautéed Cinnamon Apples with a drizzle Instant Vegan Caramel Sauce
- No-Cook, No-Avocado Vegan Chocolate Pudding, Instant Vegan Chocolate Pudding, or Pumpkin Pie Pudding, ...all with a dollop of Homemade Coconut Whipped Cream!
- Muffins are great comfort food! My favorites: Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, Vegan Blueberry Muffins, Apple Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel Topping, or Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins (with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting!)
If you make any of these Vegan Comfort Food recipes, I hope you'll tag me on Instagram! You can also leave a review below any recipes you try so others can see how you liked it. These recipes are all vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free. Most have nut-free options as well! I've got a ton of vegan recipes roundups here on the blog, too. Check them out below!