A dairy-free take on pumpkin Alfredo that is luscious, full of flavor and the perfect fall comfort food. Creamy vegan garlic pumpkin sauce comes together quickly in your blender while the pasta cooks, then pour it overtop your favorite noodles and dinner is done! No heavy cream or butter and yet it is totally luxurious and addictive.
While pumpkin in baked goods is super popular, I love savory recipes that incorporate it in unexpected ways. It is especially great in here with otherwise a super basic creamy pasta dish. This Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Garlic Pasta dish is rich and creamy without any dairy. Adding the pumpkin not only adds creaminess, vibrant color and flavor but it pumps up the nutrition of the dish by a lot.
What are the health benefits of pumpkin?
Pumpkins offer so many disease-fighting nutrients and overall health benefits. They are packed with antioxidants known as carotenoids that can protect cells from free radical damage. They also offer fiber, calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, folate, potassium and vitamins A, C, E and K.
In addition to being nutritious, this entire recipe is super low maintenance as most of my pasta recipes tend to go. It requires few ingredients (and ones that you likely have on hand). Best of all, the entire dish can be ready in 15 minutes. 15 minutes! Really! While the pasta cooks, I quickly make the sauce and then toss the sauce with the pasta just before serving. It really couldn’t be easier. It is one of those dishes that looks super impressive and tastes gourmet but is quick and simple to get on the table fast. Plus, no one tends to turn down creamy pumpkin pasta. Ever. So, it is a recipe that works for almost anyone.
All you need for creamy vegan pumpkin sauce:
- shallot and garlic sautéed briefly in extra virgin olive oil
- pumpkin puree
- slivered almonds (makes it creamy)
- maple syrup (just a touch)
- salt & pepper
Everything goes into the blender and out comes the most amazing sauce that is so simple and yet somehow I want to drink the entire thing.
Want more creamy vegan pumpkin recipes in your life?
Try these pumpkin recipes (both savory and sweet):
- Easy Blender Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin Risotto
- Garlic Pumpkin Hummus
- No-Bake Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake
- Pumpkin Pie Vegan Overnight Oats
- Baked Pumpkin Oat Pancakes (created for The Washington Post by me)
Now, Let’s Make This Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Garlic Pasta Happen!
This recipe has been on our table a lot since I created it and no one seems to be complaining in our household. It is cozy, comforting and full of so much creamy garlic flavor. I cannot wait for you give this one a try!
Let’s get cooking!Print
A dairy-free take on pumpkin alfredo that is luscious, full of flavor and the perfect fall comfort food. The sauce comes together quickly in your blender while the pasta cooks. Then, you pour it overtop your favorite noodle and dinner is done! No heavy cream or butter and yet it is totally luxurious and addictive.
- 12 ounces gluten-free pasta of choice (I recommend fettucini or spaghetti noodles)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3–4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup blanched and slivered almonds (not sliced almonds)
- 3/4 cup pasta water or filtered water*
- 1 cup homemade pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: flaky sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh sage and/ or chopped Italian flat leaf parsley (large thick stems removed)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large rimmed saute pan, add the oil, shallots and garlic and cook over low heat until the shallots become slightly translucent (about 3-4 minutes). Transfer everything from the pan over to a high speed blender.
- To the blender, add almonds, pasta water, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Set aside until pasta is finished cooking.
- When the pasta is finished cooking transfer it over to the large rimmed saute pan. Immediately pour the sauce overtop the noodles and toss well with tongs so that all noodles are fully coated. You may not need to use all the sauce but I recommend saving it for use with leftovers.
- Plate the pasta and garnish with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, sage and/or parsley. Enjoy immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days. You may need to add more liquid (leftover sauce) when reheating on the stovetop. I do not recommend reheating this dish in the microwave as it will dry it out.
*You could use pasta water instead of regular water to make it extra creamy.
Prep time does not include time to make the homemade pumpkin puree.
I love to add freshly steamed broccoli florets to this dish. See my easy method for perfectly steamed broccoli.
Nutrition information below assumes six servings and use of all the sauce. It does not include garnishes and broccoli.
If you are allergic to almonds you could substitute raw cashews. If you are allergic to nuts you could substitute coconut cream for the almonds. I have not tested the coconut cream version out but I imagine it would work well here.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Garlic Pasta