Avocado toast is one of my favorite health trends and I'm so happy it is still going strong (at least it is for me). I adopted the routine early on as my mid-morning "can't make it to lunch" snack. Or, sometimes as my actual lunch. I love to bulk my avocado toast up with veggies and plant-based protein to keep me fuller longer.
In this recipe, I smear my favorite creamy homemade hummus as the first layer and top that with avocado and thinly sliced radish. For added flavor I garnish with fresh herbs.
And, for the perfect crunch to go with my crispy toast I love to sprinkle on Manitoba Harvest Toasted Hemp Seeds. You could use regular Hemp Hearts too. Either way, it sneaks in more nutrients and plant-based protein.
This is such an ideal snack since it contains whole grains, plant-based protein, veggies and healthy fats. You could certainly switch things up and try different spreads such as black bean dip.
Sometimes instead of radishes I go for grated carrots or grated zucchini as my veggie. And you can alter the flavor with the fresh herbs. In the recipe below I mention an optional lemon or lime squeeze at the end to brighten the whole thing up.
All this for a piece of toast! When did toast become so high maintenance? I guess as soon as I decided to eat it on a regular basis. I keep upping the game with new toppings and different combinations.
The recipe below is my go-to savory combo that is vegan and gluten-free. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It is a flexible recipe and can be adapted to your preferences.
This post is in partnership with Manitoba Harvest. In the recipe below I include a coupon code for 15% off all products from Manitoba Harvest (such as their Hemp Hearts and Toasted Hemp Seeds).
This little slice of avocado-toast heaven is perfect for a mid-day snack or easy lunch. It is full of plant-based protein, fiber and healthy fats. I love the different textures and fresh flavors. Together, this is one amazing piece of toast!
- 1 slice gluten-free toast, toasted
- 1-2 tablespoons Mediterranean Hummus, Creamy Lemon-Parsley Hummus or Homemade Vegan Ricotta Cheese
- 4 thin slices of avocado
- 3-6 slices of radish (thin)
- fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish, diced
- ½ tablespoon Manitoba Harvest Toasted Hemp Seeds (or substitute regular Hemp Hearts)*
- salt and pepper to taste
- After your bread is toasted allow to cool slightly then smear with hummus.
- Top with avocado, radishes and fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley (or both!).
- Sprinkle toasted hemp hearts throughout allowing them to stick to the avocado and the hummus mostly. You may want to top with salt and pepper. Sometimes I squeeze a tiny bit of lemon or lime on top of the toast to bring out all the flavors. You could even drizzle with a very small amount of olive oil or agave for added flavor. Enjoy immediately.
* Toasted Hemp Seed Discount: follow the link I provided here and use promo code "ToastedOnToast" for 15% off their entire website until July 31, 2017
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Category: Snack or Lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Avocado Toast, Avocado, toast