This is a nutritious and delicious comfort food! Easy Vegan Zucchini Pizza Bites are the perfect weeknight bite or afternoon snack that has kids crowding around the kitchen counter. Top it with your veggies of choice, or leave it simple and classic!
We’ve been keeping up with our Veggie & Herb Garden all season long and it’s been so exciting to see what’s growing fast, what takes a while, and planning what to plant in the future. If you’ve grown zucchini at home you know how plentiful it is…we have so much zucchini! I’ve been using all of my favorite zucchini recipes as well as dreaming up new ways to use it. These Easy Vegan Zucchini Pizza Bites were quick and easy to make, and I was surprised at how quickly I fell in love with the recipe. They feel like comfort food, but are totally veggie-based and my kids love making them AND eating them.
All About Zucchini
One of the reasons I love zucchini is it’s high in water content, and it’s in-season in the summer when we need hydration most! It’s also high in vitamins A and C in addition to manganese, copper, and folate. If you have extra time while assembling these bites, sprinkle each zucchini slice with a bit of salt and let it sit for a few minutes before topping them. This helps draw out the moisture so they won’t get soggy when baked.
Vegan Mozzarella for Zucchini Pizza Bites
My Easy Vegan Mozzarella has come in handy for so many recipes! It’s delicious on pizza, but I also love it in my Baked Taquitos! This dairy-free cheese has a base made from cashews and tapioca starch. A lot of vegan home chefs are intimidated by making their own cheese, but I promise it’s actually so quick and easy to do!
Zucchini Pizza Bite Toppings
Since the slices of zucchini are so small, keep your toppings small! I recommend personalizing it with just seasonings or veggies diced super small. Some fun options might be:
- Bell pepper
- Black olives
- Vegan Parmesan
- Gluten-Free Panko Breadcrumbs
- Fresh basil
These Easy Vegan Zucchini Pizza Bites are paleo, vegan (free of egg and dairy!), gluten-free, and free of refined sugar. I hope you make and love them! Please don’t forget to drop a review below to help other home chefs, and tag me on Instagram so I can see your cooking successes.
More Kid-Friendly Dishes
Vegan Tostadas with Refried Beans
No-Boil Vegan Baked Ziti with Veggies
Easy Vegan Baked Taquitos
Apple Ring Sandwiches
Creamy Vegan Picnic Pasta Salad
Mexican Veggie Burrito Bowls
Orzo with Sautéed Veggies
Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
Sweet Potato Quinoa Tots
Easy Vegan Zucchini Pizza Bites are the perfect weeknight bite or afternoon snack that has kids crowding around the kitchen counter.
- 1 large zucchini*
- 2/3 cup marinara sauce or pizza sauce (3/4–1 teaspoon marinara or pizza sauce per round depending on the size of the round) – I love Rao’s homemade marinara sauce best
- 1/2 batch of my vegan mozzarella cheese recipe (3/4–1 teaspoon per round depending on the size of the round)**
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (~ 1/4–1/2 teaspoon oil per round depending on the size of the round)
- fine salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning
- vegan Parmesan cheese
- finely diced veggies such as red bell pepper or mushrooms
- black olives
- homemade vegan + paleo panko breadcrumbs
- fresh basil (as garnish after cooked)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 half sheet baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/2-inch rounds. You can slice 1/4-inch rounds or 3/4-inch rounds but I prefer 1/2-inch the best for a nice sturdy and balanced bite. Place them on the two lined baking sheets. Zucchini rounds should not be touching.
- Add 3/4-1 teaspoon of marinara or pizza sauce overtop each zucchini round. Try and keep the sauce in the center of the round leaving a little zucchini exposed around the edges.
- Add 3/4-1 teaspoon of cheese in the center of the zucchini rounds. Drizzle 1/4-1/2 teaspoon oil overtop the cheese (this helps the cheese brown). Sprinkle all rounds lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add any desired toppings from the “Optional toppings” list above. I love to add Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 7 minutes watching closely to ensure the cheese does not burn. Remove from oven when cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil if desired. Enjoy while hot.
- Store leftovers once fully cooled to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For best results reheat in oven. Best when fresh.
* One large zucchini = 18-20 ounces. When cut into rounds the diameter of a large zucchini is typically 2-3 inches depending on which end you are measuring. 1, 19-ounce zucchini yields 30 1/2 inch thick rounds. If you cannot find a large, thick zucchini then use 2 small zucchinis and cut the slices at an angel to yield more surface area for each “round.”
** If you are allergic to cashews but can tolerate almonds, try my vegan ricotta cheese recipe. It has a different texture and flavor but is a fun twist for this recipe. You can also use store bought vegan mozzarella cheese shreds if desired.
If you have extra time (don’t we all!?), sprinkle salt overtop the zucchini rounds before topping them. Allow them to sit with the salt on the flesh for about 20 minutes. This will draw out the moisture a bit so they won’t be soggy when cooked. After 20 minutes, blot with a towel to remove the beads of moisture and the excess salt. Then proceed with your toppings. If you do this you can skip adding salt on top of the cheese.
- Category: Snack or Lunch
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan zucchini pizza bites