Light and fluffy healthy vegan blueberry muffins that are also gluten-free with a nut-free option! They’re super flavorful, nutritious and perfect for a grab-and-go easy breakfast.
Healthy Vegan Blueberry Muffins
I have never been able to find a vegan blueberry muffin recipe that is healthy AND vegan AND gluten-free AND nut-free but also tastes delicious too! This recipe may be the only one out there. Good thing too! I am sure you will love this recipe as much as me and my kids do and make it over and over again! They are so simple to make and have a nut-free option with sorghum flour which is my new favorite baking flour.
What is this new gluten-free flour?
You are probably wondering, what the heck is sorghum and why is it in this muffin recipe? Is this a good thing? The answer is yes! Sorghum is an ancient cereal grain that is naturally gluten-free with a mostly neutral and yet slightly sweet flavor. It is light weight and also light in color and works well as a substitute for regular flour in gluten-free baking.
Believe it or not, sorghum actually improves the texture of recipes. It is a real treat for all you gluten-free bakers out there! I have been using it lately in my baking and complimenting it with oat flour. I find that with these two flours combined (oat flour and sorghum flour) you really don’t need any other fancy gluten binding ingredients such as xanthum gum. So it makes gluten-free baking a breeze.
Sorghum is popular in Africa and gaining popularity here in the United States. Not only is it gluten-free but it also is nutritious. It is nutrient-rich and considered a whole grain.
Sorghum digests slowly with a lower glycemic index so it keeps you feeling fuller longer. So what is not to love? Give these vegan blueberry muffins a try and let me know what you think of them!
How to make vegan blueberry muffins?
These healthy blueberry muffins are so easy to make despite what you make think about gluten-free baking! It’s really as simple as mixing together the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients separately. Then you add in the blueberries while you mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
Bake for 20 minutes and you’re done! You have deliciously fluffy, healthy blueberry muffins done, dusted and ready in under 30 minutes.
Gluten-Free and Healthy Vegan Blueberry Muffins
These muffins are 100% vegan (dairy-free and egg-free), gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, oil-free and butter-free. My kids love them and so does my husband. I get regular requests from them to make a batch and they never last long. It is hard to eat just one.
They’re great for preparing at the start of the week for school lunches or snacks. They will disappear as fast as you can make them so make enough for the whole family to enjoy!
If you give this muffin recipe a try, let me know by leaving a comment and rating it! And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it @eatingbyelaine and #eatingbyelaine on Instagram so I can see your muffins!
More recipes to try!
This soft and moist muffin recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. It makes a great quick or on-the-go breakfast option. I even included a nut-free version for all my nut-free readers. Enjoy!
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats*
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or substitute sorghum flour for a nut-free version)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries + more for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a muffin tin with silicone baking cups or lightly grease a muffin tin with coconut oil or avocado oil.
- Place the oats in a completely dry high speed blender and blender from low to highest speed until a fine flour forms and no chunks remain. Add the almond flour (or sorghum flour for nut-free), arrowroot powder, flaxseed, baking soda and salt and blend again until well combined. Pour the dry ingredient mixture into a medium sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- To the blender, add the non-dairy milk, maple syrup, apple sauce, vanilla and vinegar. Blend to combine. Pour the combined wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a hand mixer to combine well.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Fill each muffin tin with the batter. Place additional blueberries on top if desired. I like to add three blueberry on top per muffin and situate them away from the center to allow the muffin to rise in the center.
- Bake for 10 minutes then without opening the oven door turn the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove the muffin tin from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing the muffins from the baking cups. Place muffins on a wire cooling rack to completely cool before storing.
- Enjoy immediately with a little coconut oil spread or vegan butter. Alternatively, you can store the muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week and in the freezer for up to four weeks.
* For best results make your own oat flour.
** I have also tested this recipe using 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsweetened apple sauce and 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil and it worked very well.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan blueberry muffins. easy vegan muffins, gluten-free blueberry muffins
When you try this recipe, use the hashtag #eatingbyelaine on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my stories. Follow Eating by Elaine on PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM for all the latest content and behind the scenes!
Subscribe to the Eating by Elaine Weekly e-Newsletter and receive simple, nutritious recipes in your inbox every week!
There may be an affiliate link(s) in this post, which means that if you click on a product link above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you! As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you SO much for reading!
You can visit my Shop page for a complete listing of all my favorite kitchen and cooking products.