This flavorful and quick Vegan Black Bean Soup is just right for weeknights and comfort food! Make it in less than an hour with a handful of fresh ingredients and an incredible blend of spices and wow everyone who tries it.
This soup is the real deal, you guys! It's flavorful, nutritious, and has the most perfect texture. It went immediately to the top of my list of favorites! It was quickly declared a winner by everyone else in my house. I have no doubt I'll be making it on repeat all throughout the winter months! One of my favorite things is how easy this Vegan Black Bean Soup reheats. It's the perfect soup to have for lunches or leftover dinner nights!
All About Black Beans
The main ingredient in this tasty soup is black beans. Black beans are considered a legume and part of both the protein and vegetable group. They also provide dietary fiber and important nutrients such as iron and zinc. Black beans also absorb flavor really well, making them great for soups like this one!
For a complete guide on black beans see my post on Black Bean Benefits for Vegans (+ Recipes).
Health Benefits of Bell Peppers
In addition to black beans, this soup has bell pepper that adds incredible, bright flavor! Red peppers contain 11 times more beta carotene and four times more vitamin C than green bell peppers. Vitamin C helps heal cuts and wounds and keep teeth and gums healthy, and beta carotene benefits your immune system, vision, skin health and bone health. Shop for bell peppers that are brightly colored and firm with tight skin. You can store bell peppers for up to five days in a plastic bag in your refrigerator.
Immersion Blender for Soup
I used an immersion blender to achieve my ideal texture in this soup! It's not a perfectly smooth, pureed soup. I pulsed it a few times on the lowest speed, checking frequently to see how it was looking. If you don't have an immersion blender, your regular blender will work just fine! Let the soup cool a little bit, then move it carefully in batches into the blender and pulse it once or twice.
How to Garnish Black Bean Soup
This soup is delicious on it's own. I also love having a few tasty garnishes on the table so everyone can dress their bowl of soup! I'd put out...
- Easy Homemade Vegan Sour Cream
- Sliced avocado
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Grain-free tortilla chips
- Diced onion
- Lime wedges
More Soup Recipes
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, stem and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 large red or orange bell pepper, stem removed, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 (15-oz.) cans low-sodium black beans, with liquid
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 bay leaf (remove before using immersion blender)
- homemade vegan sour cream
- avocado chunks
- fresh cilantro, large stems removed, chopped
- red or white onion, peeled and finely diced
- lime wedges/zest
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and salt and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeños and cook for 1 minute. Add red bell pepper, tomato paste and all the seasonings. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add black beans with their liquid and filtered water. Add bay leaf, stir and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce to a simmer and let simmer until slightly reduced, about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup to your desired consistency. I give it a couple of pulses on the low speed because I like it slightly chunky and slightly pureed.
- Serve hot and garnish with homemade vegan sour cream, avocado chunks, chopped cilantro, diced onion and lime wedges.
- Store leftovers once completely cooled to room temperature. You can store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days. You can freeze for up to two months (just leave at least an inch of space at the top of the container for expansion).
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Cuban
Keywords: easy vegan spicy black bean soup