Ditch the expensive, store-bought coffee shop chai lattes for this authentic, homemade version that is dairy-free and naturally sweetened with a touch of maple syrup. It is simple to make and so much better than those sneaky chai tea powder mixes with mystery ingredients and additives. Using freshly brewed black tea and real spices boosts the flavor of this drink and makes it totally addictive. It is not watered down at all and has a luscious plant-based milk base.
vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free, nut-free option
- 1 cup vanilla unsweetened plant-based milk (such as almond, coconut, hemp, rice or oat)
- 1 black tea bag
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Co-op vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Co-op ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Co-op ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon Frontier Co-op ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon Frontier Co-op ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon Frontier Co-op fine ground black pepper
- For Garnish: 1 Frontier Co-op star anise, sprinkle of cinnamon and/or 1 Frontier Co-op cinnamon stick
- Heat milk either in the microwave (2-3 minutes on high) or on the stove top until it reaches a boil.
- Place the black tea bag in the milk to brew.
- Allow the tea to steep for 1-2 minutes. Discard tea bag after brewing.
- Pour the heated milk into a blender and add remaining ingredients (maple syrup, vanilla and spices).
- Blend for 10 seconds on the blender’s highest speed and then 5 seconds on the lowest speed to make the drink frothy.
- Immediately pour the drink into a mug and garnish as desired.
- Enjoy immediately while hot.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Category: Drink
Please be sure to check out my video for this recipe below!
This post is sponsored by Frontier Co-op. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. You can also find the recipe on their site here. Find out how Frontier helps me Cook with Purpose and why I love their spices.