This post is brought to you by Imagine. In partnership with Imagine, I encourage you to embrace creativity in your at-home cooking by experimenting with your own simple and approachable recipes.
Creamy Split Pea Turmeric & Red Lentil Vegetable Soup
I love a steamy, creamy bowl of comforting soup during winter to make my body feel boosted, energized and healthier. Nothing is better on a cold day than curling up with a warm, filling bowl of soup and this red lentil vegetable soup might become your go-to recipe! It’s a simple, no-fuss recipe that the whole family can enjoy!
This soup is like a big, warm healing hug for your entire body. It is full of good-for-you colorful ingredients. Soothing vegetable broth, freshly ground black pepper and pungent garlic and onion are perfect for your throat and sinuses this time of year.
I added turmeric which contains a compound called curcumin that provides antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory effects. I also added fresh parsley which provides immune-boosting antioxidants and is said to have antibacterial properties as well. All of these healthy flavors work so well together and make a completely satisfying vegetable soup.
I wanted to make this soup a bit heartier and more like a meal than a typical vegetable soup so I added plant-based protein from split peas and red lentils. Both are low-calorie, high fiber sources of protein and iron. Split peas also offer vitamins A and C. Red lentils provide important minerals such as potassium and folate.
Both the lentils and split peas cook down and start to disappear into the soup the longer you let it simmer on the stove. They make the soup more creamy, filling and delicious too!
I also bulked the soup up with nutritious vegetables: celery, carrots and tomatoes. To make the soup creamy but keep it vegan I added a homemade almond cream sauce that couldn’t be easier to make.
I simply soaked raw slivered almonds in boiling water and then pureed them with fresh water in my high speed blender. It creates a thick and slightly sweet white cream that pairs perfectly with this soup. It helps to mellow out all the big flavor it has going on in it. This is a great vegan cream recipe to keep for making your vegan sauces, soups, and curries extra creamy and delicious.
I’m thrilled to be partnering again with my favorite vegetable broth brand, Imagine. This recipe uses their organic vegetable broth which has a fresh homemade taste and the perfect depth of flavor for this healing soup.
For years I have been exclusively using their organic vegetable broths for the great flavor and peace of mind. I love knowing it’s a healthy, organic vegetable stock that’s perfect for everyday use.
I honestly think it is the best tasting broth out there. It is made with real, wholesome, all-natural ingredients and is gluten-free, Kosher Parve, USDA certified Organic and non-GMO Project verified. I love knowing that there is absolutely nothing artificial in my broth (no preservatives or added MSG).
It contains only the good stuff from the finest farm-grown organic vegetables and savory herbs and seasonings. And that is why I think it tastes the best. I feel good giving this high-quality broth to my family.
With the veggies, herbs, legumes and flavor-boosters, this creamy soup really has it all and is perfect to cozy up to this winter. It will leave you feeling satisfied and healthier.
Creamy Red Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe
This soup is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free and peanut-free. If you give this a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your soup creations.
More delicious soup recipes you might like!
- Simple Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Toddler & Kid-Approved Creamy Vegan Carrot Soup
- Easy Vegan Blender Pumpkin Soup
- Garnishes to Turn Your Soup into a Meal
- Creamy Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup (+Instant Pot Instructions)
This hearty winter vegan vegetable soup is loaded with good-for-you ingredients and tastes incredible. It is creamy, full of pungent flavor and will warm your body (and soul) from the inside out.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced*
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced*
- 3 large celery stalks, leaves/ends removed and diced*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric (or more if desired using up to 1 tablespoon total)
- 1, 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 1/2 cup split peas
- 7 cups Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth (or 8 cups for a more brothy soup)
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted blanched and slivered almonds, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes (or sub raw unsalted cashews)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, diced
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until veggies begin to soften.
- Stir frequently for even cooking.
- Add the garlic and turmeric and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes (and their juices), red lentils, split peas and the Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down heat and let simmer uncovered for one hour until split peas are soft.
- Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile make the almond cream sauce. Drain and rinse the soaked almonds and add to a high speed blender.
- Add fresh water and blend on high speed for at least one minute.
- Check the sauce to ensure it is smooth and creamy.
- Once split peas are soft, turn off heat. Stir in fresh parsley and almond cream sauce.
- Season to taste and serve. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper, fresh diced parsley and a drizzle of almond cream sauce if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week or in your freezer for two months.
* I like to dice my onion, carrots and celery extra small for this recipe.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: America
Keywords: red lentil vegetable soup, lentil soup, vegan lentil soup
As always, all opinions expressed in this blog post are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that I work with and love!