Easy Vegan Turmeric Golden Milk Latte
On a gloomy, drizzly, or slightly chilly day, all I want to do is sip on one of my favorite warm beverages: turmeric golden milk latte. I enjoy this drink frequently and thought I would share my go-to simple recipe with you all. It tastes delicious and always makes my throat feel so good, especially on days when I'm sick.
The earthy turmeric makes this concoction truly different than all other drinks. So if you are looking for a warm mug of something other than coffee or tea, this may just be the non-caffeinated drink for you. It couldn't be easier to make at home and it sure is a delicious way to get more turmeric in your life. The deep golden milk latte will most definitely add a splash of color to your day.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
As one who is passionate about health and wellness (I have a Master of Public Health degree (MPH) and am a Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) as well), I like to understand the health benefits of the ingredients I am using.
Turmeric has been shown to enhance antibody responses and help modulate the immune system. Turmeric is rich in antioxidants and has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal activity.
There are a lot of claims about the health benefits of turmeric. According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), preliminary studies found that curcuminoids (found in turmeric) may:
- Reduce the number of heart attacks bypass patients had after surgery
- Control knee pain from osteoarthritis as well as ibuprofen did
- Reduce the skin irritation that often occurs after radiation treatments for breast cancer.
Pro Tip: black pepper and a fat increases the bioavailability of turmeric’s healing compounds as our bodies have difficulty absorbing it on its own. You can add a dash of ground black pepper and ½ teaspoon of coconut oil to this recipe if desired.
To learn more about turmeric as traditional and modern medicine check out this article published by the National Institute of Health.
Best Spices for a Vegan Golden Milk Latte
I listed some optional additional spices you may want to use to "boost" your latte. The warming and spicy ginger, cayenne pepper and black pepper pair wonderfully with the sweet and decadent cinnamon and vanilla flavors. Those spices have also been linked with health benefits so I sometimes add one or more to my latte depending on my mood.
This golden milk latte is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free and peanut-free. If you substitute coconut milk, oat milk, hemp milk, flax milk or rice milk then you can easily make it nut-free. Once you give this recipe a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your beautiful cups of sunshine and feature your pic on my Instagram stories.
Other delicious drink recipes you might like!
- Almond Pulp Strawberry Vanilla Smoothie
- The Best Homemade Almond Milk (+ What to Do with the Leftover Pulp!)
- How to Make Oat Milk
- Refined Sugar-Free Apple Cider
- Vegan Blender Hot Chocolate
- Gingerbread Steamer
- Iced Turmeric Latte
This warm, sweet and spicy latte is my take on the classic golden latte. With just five base ingredients, you can warm and whisk it up in no time. You can add ginger, cayenne and/or black pepper if desired.
- 1 cup homemade cashew milk or homemade almond milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)*
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil (optional for added absorption of the turmeric)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper (optional for added absorption of the turmeric)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
After making this a couple times you may want to adjust the sweetness or spices to your liking.
* For best results I recommend making Homemade Cashew Milk. It is the creamiest and thickest. You could even use 3.5 cups of water in the recipe instead of 4 cups to make it thicker and creamier.
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: golden milk latte, vegan turmeric latte, turmeric drink, easy golden latte, turmeric latte