I thought that my Creamy Vegan Spring Pea & Asparagus Soup would be my last soup for a while but this winter-like weather just won’t quit! This yummy carrot ginger soup is the perfect sweet, spicy, creamy and vibrant recipe to get you through these chilly spring days. It is rich, filling and soothing on the throat.
I love how easy this soup is to make. I can prep it in under five minutes and it cooks in 30 minutes with no hands-on time required during the cooking phase.
I also love that it is full of simple, nutritious ingredients. Carrots are low in calories and offer dietary fiber and beta-carotene. Fresh ginger can be helpful for digestion. Almonds provide plant-based protein and healthy fats. Blended together they make one tasty soup.
I have made four batches in the past week because my family keeps asking for more. I dialed back the ginger a bit and the girls do not seem to mind the slight spice at all. You could certainly add more ginger if you want a stronger flavor. My neighbors had it last week and raved about it as well.
This recipe is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free and peanut-free. If you give this recipe a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your creations.Print
This vibrant and creamy soup is perfect for early spring weather. I love the slightly spicy flavor paired with the sweet and creamy broth. It is refreshing and soothing all at the same time. I can usually pull together a batch of this soup in under 40 minutes and serve my entire family.
- 2 tablespoons vegan, soy-free butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pound peeled baby carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (grate about a 2 inch piece of ginger using a microplane)
- 3 tablespoons raw, unsalted slivered almonds (not sliced or whole almonds)
- Garnish with fresh micro greens, watercress or chives and a drizzle of homemade almond cream*
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, carrots, ginger and almonds. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to slightly cool. Transfer to a high speed blender and puree until smooth and creamy on the soup setting. Taste and add more ginger, salt or pepper if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with watercress, chives or micro greens if desired. You can also top with a drizzle of homemade almond cream.*
*To make the homemade almond cream I simply blend 1/4 cup slivered almonds with 1/2 cup filtered water in my high speed blender on the juice setting.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
1. Add butter, onions, salt and pepper to your Instant Pot and press Saute. Cook until onions are fragrant and translucent (about 4-6 minutes). Stir often throughout the saute process to avoid browning. I like to add the garlic during the last minute of cooking.
2. Add broth, carrots, slivered almonds and ginger. Cover and cook high pressure 12 minutes, until the carrots are tender. Natural release.
3. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender and puree it right in the Instant Pot. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
4. Ladle into bowls and garnish with watercress, chives or micro greens if desired. You can also top with a drizzle of homemade almond cream.*
- Category: Soup