Restaurant-level pizza made right at home? This is the recipe! It's an Easy Vegan Skillet White Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Roasted Garlic, and Basil...and every bite is exploding with perfect Italian flavor!
There's something about the excitement of a weekend that calls for a pizza night! It just feels right, doesn't it? My current pizza combo craving is this Easy Vegan Skillet White Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Roasted Garlic, and Basil. It seriously tastes like something straight off of a restaurant menu! Everything comes together perfectly and there is nothing like that first bite. Try it once and I think you'll be just as hooked as I am!
One of the things I love about this recipe is how easy it is to layer the tasks so it's a really stress-free kitchen experience! The caramelized onions and roasted garlic take the longest, so I start with those, and then get the crust and cheese going. This makes it super easy to assemble everything and cook when it's go time!
My Favorite Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
My go-to recipe for a gluten-free pizza crust is this Easy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza Crust. It's yeast-free, paleo, and vegan as well, so it's a super allergen-friendly recipe that everyone can enjoy. I made it from almond flour, arrowroot starch, and potato starch. The result is a fluffy, golden pizza crust that's sturdy enough to hold all of your favorite toppings!
Vegan Pizza Toppings
I kept this white pizza super simple since the toppings I chose are so flavorful! This pizza is topped with:
- My Easy Vegan Mozzarella recipe, which is made from a base of raw cashews and tapioca starch. This is a dairy-free cheese that takes just 10 minutes to make and tastes SO creamy and amazing on pizza!
- One of my all-time favorites: Caramelized Onions! These add incredible, robust depth of flavor to every dish I put them on, and they're heavenly on pizza. Make these ahead of time if you'd like!
- Roast Garlic, which makes your entire kitchen smell amazing and pairs perfectly with the onion.
- Fresh basil...I kind of think this is a must-have on any homemade pizza. We grow basil in our home garden!
- Vegan Parmesan cheese if you want some extra Italian flavor. I love the brand VioLife!
- Crushed red pepper for a bit of heat. We leave this off when the kids are eating, but it really is a great kick of spice if you like it!
I hope you make and love this Vegan White Pizza! It's a recipe free of dairy, egg, meat, gluten, soy, yeast, and refined sugar. If you do make it, please tag me on Instagram so I can cheer you on! Leaving a review below is also super helpful to me and to other readers.
More Italian Favorites
Vegan Chickpea Bolognese
Chunky Tomato Basil Spaghetti
Vegan Baked Feta Pasta
Chickpea Flour Pizza with Pesto & Roasted Beet Noodles
Creamy Vegan Pasta al Limone
Vegan No-Boil Pasta Bake
Red Wine Spaghetti with Mushrooms and Parsley Pesto
Vegan Creamy Pasta Primavera
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- 1 homemade vegan, gluten-free pizza crust (this is also paleo)
- 1 batch homemade vegan mozarella
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 batch of caramelized onions (from one large onion)
- 1 head roasted garlic (How to Roast Garlic), cloves removed from head and roughly chopped and/or smashed
- Handful fresh basil for serving
- Optional garnishes: vegan parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the pizza crust according to the linked recipe above. Add homemade vegan mozzarella cheese overtop. Spread with a spoon or spatula leaving about a half inch of space around the edges of the crust. You may not need all of it depending upon how cheesy you want it. If there is leftover cheese, the cheese keeps well for up to five days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Drizzle with olive oil and brush the olive oil overtop the entire layer of cheese. Bake for 10 minutes. I like to broil the pizza at 500 degrees Fahrenheit for the last 2 minutes or so of baking to give it a nice golden brown char. If you do, just watch it closely to avoid burning the cheese.
- Top with caramelized onions and chopped/smashed garlic. Bake for another 5 minutes at 450 degrees to allow the flavors of the onions and garlic infuse into the cheese.
- Remove the cast iron skillet pizza from the oven, top with any additional desired garnishes such as fresh basil, vegan parmesan cheese and/or crushed red pepper flakes. Slice and enjoy while hot. This recipe is best enjoyed the day it is made.
- Store leftovers once fully cooled to room temperature in an airtight container for up to five days in the refrigerator. Reheat in oven for best results.
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Entree/Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian