Sometimes Taco Tuesday calls for Tostadas! This Easy Vegan Tostadas recipe is layered with crunchy gluten-free tostada shells, creamy refried beans, and flavorful veggie toppings.
You can pretty much always count me in for Mexican food, and that's also true when I'm developing recipes! These Easy Vegan Tostadas were quickly deemed a family favorite, and everyone loved adding their own choice of toppings and biting into crunchy tostada shells.
A tostada is basically one big, salty, crunchy tortilla chip that you can pile your favorite toppings on. What's not to love?! I used Easy Creamy Refried Beans as a filling base packed with plant-based protein and a whole array of toppings for a dinnertime success.
Gluten-Free Tostada Shells
I love Siete almond flour tortillas! My whole family enjoys them, and they bake into perfect tostada shells. They only need a couple minutes in the oven with some oil and salt to bake into deliciously crisps that are perfect for layering with your favorite toppings.
Vegan Tostada Toppings
Tostadas are all about the toppings! I love having as many options on the table as possible so everyone can really customize their plate.
- Refried beans are a newer recipe on the site and they're so good that I cannot stop making them!
- Vegan sour cream is always a hit, especially with kids. I keep a batch of this in my fridge because I use it on so many dishes!
- Slaw adds some crunch and extra flavor that I'm really into.
- Pico de gallo always! Make extra so you can have chips and dip as an appetizer!
- Caramelized onions are so, so good on pretty much any dish, and this one is no exception.
- Fresh veggies: avocado, romaine lettuce, cilantro, limes, and green onions.
- Jalapeno chimichurri sauce as a finishing drizzle! You can make a milder version of this sauce for kids or leave it off completely if they're not into spice.
- Cilantro lime sauce takes just 5 minutes to make and adds a wonderful creaminess.
These Easy Vegan Tostadas are free of dairy, egg, meat, soy, gluten, and refined sugar. They're totally allergy-friendly and absolutely delicious! If you make them, I hope you'll drop a review below and tag me on Instagram so I can see your yummy creations!
More Southwestern Favorites
Vegan Enchilada Stuffed Bell Peppers
Crispy California Avocado Tacos
Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Spanish Rice & Beans
Creamy Vegan Mexican Casserole with Black Beans & Quinoa
Sheet Pan Vegan Nachos
Mexican Veggie Burrito Bowls
Vegan Walnut Taco Meat
Easy Vegan Mexican Quinoa Salad
Creamy Black Bean & Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas
Sometimes Taco Tuesday calls for Tostadas! This Easy Vegan Tostadas recipe is layered with crunchy gluten-free shells and the best toppings.
For the tostadas
- 4 small tortillas (I Love Siete almond flour tortillas)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (½ tablespoon per tortilla)
- fine salt to taste
- refried beans (served hot)
- vegan sour cream (served cold)
- slaw (served cold)
- pico de gallo (served cold)
- caramelized onions
- jalapeno chimichurri sauce or cilantro lime sauce (drizzled overtop)
More Garnish Options:
- chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, diced or guacamole
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, large stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1 large juicy lime, juiced and zested
- 2 green onions, diced
- Make the tostadas: Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the tortillas in a single layer on a bare baking sheet. Tortillas should not be touching. Brush both sides of each tortilla with avocado oil. You can also use avocado oil spray. Sprinkle generously with fine salt. Bake on the middle rack for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Flip halfway through for even browning.
- Prepare desired toppings in advance for easy assembly. Place toppings out and allow individuals to assemble to their liking. I usually start by spreading the hot refried beans first and then top with a generous helping of vegan sour cream and pico de gallo. I love to drizzle the jalapeno chimichurri sauce or cilantro lime sauce overtop for a kick. Then I garnish with caramelized onions and cilantro leaves. Have fun with this and find combinations that you enjoy. See notes for more ideas!
- Enjoy soon after assembling. Store leftover tostadas separate from toppings.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan tostadas