Butternut squash, mushrooms, bell pepper and black beans all get tossed in a Homemade Taco Seasoning and cooked on a sheet pan for an easy, delicious and healthy weeknight dinner. Sheet Pan Veggie Black Bean Tacos are a crowd favorite at my house!
I really, really love using sheet pan recipes for weeknights! The timing just works perfectly. I can cut veggies and measure spices earlier in the day when I have time or energy, and then once the sheet pan is in the oven I prepare everything else for a delicious meal that the whole family loves. These Sheet Pan Veggie Black Bean Tacos are a fun way to enjoy your roasted vegetables! Butternut squash, mushrooms, bell pepper and black beans all get perfectly seasoned with a homemade taco seasoning, and they create the most perfect taco filling you've ever tried. It's been a most-requested favorite at our house since the first time we tried it!
Sheet Pan Taco Ingredients
This recipe begins with roasting veggies on the sheet pan. This is a really great base for weeknight meals! You can prep the veggies ahead of time, and once they're in the oven you have the perfect amount of time to prepare everything else.
- Red bell pepper - Remove the stem and seeds, and then slice it into strips. I like long, thin slices of bell pepper that fit perfectly into tacos!
- Mushrooms - Baby Bella mushrooms are my favorite. I've been all about roasting mushrooms lately! They just have the most incredible savory flavor, and I like the earthy taste and subtle texture they add as a taco filling.
- Butternut squash - For a hint of sweetness and really awesome color! You can't ever go wrong with butternut squash.
- Red onion - I like to slice it thin so that it distributes evenly into every delicious bite.
- For roasting - Extra virgin olive oil, pure maple syrup, and my Homemade Taco Seasoning all get added to the pan and tossed with the veggies for roasting.
- Black beans - Grab a can out of the pantry, drain and rinse, then add it to the sheet pan for the final 5 minutes to warm them through.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Packets of pre-made taco seasoning are a pantry staple for many people, but it's actually really easy to make your own (and tastes SO much better)! Homemade Taco Seasoning has just a couple ingredients, and you can be sure there's nothing unnecessary added in. It's the best way to season Sheet Pan Veggie Black Bean Tacos.
- Chili powder - This is where the flavor's at! Chili powder adds spice and a bit of kick, so if you're worried about the heat, you can start with just a little bit and increase as desired.
- Ground cumin - Cumin is earthy and creates awesome, savory depth in this taco seasoning. It isn't spicy at all, just warm and distinct!
- Maple sugar - You could also use coconut sugar or any granulated sugar! Since I don't use refined sugars, I rely on pure maple products (like maple syrup or maple sugar) to add a bit of sweetness to my favorite recipes.
- Garlic & onion powder - These spice rack staples come in handy all the time! I love how garlic and onion powders balance out the robust, spicier flavors in this Homemade Taco Seasoning. It's perfection!
- Salt and pepper - The classics. Use these to fine-tune your taco seasoning so it's just right.
What to Serve with Sheet Pan Veggie Black Bean Tacos
Most of the fun in a taco night comes from assembling your plate! My kids love being in charge of their own dinner, and I think they're more likely to add nutritious or new-to-them ingredients when it's their decision. Here are some of the things I like to have out on the table with tacos!
- Tortillas - I like to warm our tortillas or even sear them on the stovetop. My favorite gluten-free tortillas are made by Siete with almond flour.
- Guacamole - A must on Taco Tuesday! My recipe is a Chipotle copycat recipe that I absolutely LOVE. Trust me when I say to double it and grab a bag of your favorite tortilla chips!
- Salsa - I have a couple recipes that we love, but the classic go-to one is Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca). You can also experiment with The Best Peach Salsa, Strawberry Salsa or Black-Eyed Pea and Avocado Salsa
- Beans - There are already black beans in the taco filling, but doubling up adds even more protein and flavor! I love Creamy Vegan Black Bean Dip or Refried Beans.
- Sauce - Sauces are a big part of my Meal Prep Routine, and we even use them for tacos. Vegan Homemade Queso, Vegan Homemade Sour Cream and Jalapeno Chimichurri Sauce would all be delicious. You could even make all three!
- Slaw - Add a little crunch, a lot of flavor and a serving of veggies with Homemade Vegan No-Mayo Garlic Cilantro Slaw. The perfect taco topping!
- Fresh veggies - Chopped iceberg or romaine lettuce, sliced avocado, cilantro, lime, or diced red or green onions are all great options to have out on the table for taco dressing.
All About Black Beans
Black beans are considered a legume and part of both the protein and vegetable food group. They also provide dietary fiber and important nutrients such as iron and zinc. Since they absorb flavor so well, I love using them in recipes that have a great combination of spices like the Homemade Taco Seasoning in this one!
All About Butternut Squash
Butternut squash is a good source of fiber, potassium and magnesium. It’s loaded with vitamins A and C and also contains phytochemicals (natural plant chemicals) that support vision, heart and gastrointestinal health. I shop for butternut squash that feel heavy for their size and I peel the tough skin off before cutting it into smaller pieces for these Sheet Pan Veggie Black Bean Tacos.
I hope you love this vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free Sheet Pan Veggie Black Bean Tacos recipe. If you make my recipes, I would absolutely love it if you tagged me on Instagram so I can see how they turned out. You can also leave a review below to help others who may want to try this dish. If you want more easy vegan weeknight dinners, subscribe to my newsletter to receive a free printable download filled with more tasty meals like this one!
More Mexican Food Favorites
- Mexican Veggie Burrito Bowls
- The Best Vegan 7-Layer Dip
- Easy Vegan Baked Taquitos
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- One-Pan Mexican Quinoa and Black Beans
- Sheet Pan Vegan Nachos
- Crispy Avocado Tacos
- Mushroom-Walnut Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Creamy Black Bean & Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas
- Easy Vegan Tostadas with Refried Beans
Sheet Pan Veggie Black Bean Tacos
- Total Time: 1 hour
Butternut squash, mushrooms, bell pepper and black beans all get tossed in a Homemade Taco Seasoning and cooked on a sheet pan for an easy, delicious and healthy weeknight dinner.
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2.5 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon maple sugar (or coconut sugar or any granulated sugar)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Veggie Sheet Pan:
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced or thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (baby bella)
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and diced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Taco Seasoning Spice Mixture (see above)
- 1,15-ounce can black beans, drained, rinsed and dried
Taco Serving Suggestions:
- warmed or stovetop seared gluten-free tortillas (I love Siete almond flour tortillas)
- chopped iceberg or romaine lettuce
- guacamole or sliced avocado
- diced red onion or green onion
- pico de gallo (salsa fresca) or regular salsa
- creamy vegan black bean dip
- vegan homemade queso
- refried beans
- vegan homemade sour cream
- homemade vegan no-mayo garlic cilantro slaw
- jalapeno chimichurri sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk together the taco spice seasoning mixture in a small bowl.
- Add red bell pepper, mushrooms, butternut squash, red onions, olive oil, maple syrup (if using) and taco spice seasoning to a half sheet baking pan. Use two large sheet pans if needed so as not to overcrowd the pan. Use two spoons to toss the veggies well so they are evenly coated in the oil and spices. Bake on the middle rack of the preheated oven for 40 minutes tossing halfway through with tongs.
- Add rinsed, drained and dried black beans to the sheet pan with the veggies and cook another five minutes to warm the beans. The veggies should be golden brown and crispy when cooking is complete. Bake longer if needed.
- Warm your tortillas and serve with a couple spoonfuls of the roasted veggies and warmed black beans. Add any taco toppings you love to your taco. I love to add finely chopped iceberg lettuce or slaw, sliced avocado, finely diced red onion, vegan sour cream, finely chopped cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Store leftover veggies and black beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat in the oven to get them warm and crispy again.
Store leftover tacos in the refrigerator for up to 2 days in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
Keywords: sheet pan roasted veggie tacos
This is such a good basic recipe that you can dress up however you like! It’s great with guacamole or hummus and/or your vegan sour cream. I make a big batch of the spice mix and keep in with my spices in a glass jar so it’s always ready to go! It works as a bowl over rice or quinoa or in a siete wrap! Sooo good!
Elaine Gordon says
Thank you so much, Abby! I really appreciate you taking the time to share all this feedback about this recipe. It is one of our favorites too because like you said it is so versatile! All the best, Elaine