Crispy California Avocado Tacos are the brightest, tastiest, and most nutritious way to enjoy taco night! Crispy air fried avocados, bright bell peppers, vegan walnut taco meat, and vegan sour cream all come together for a party in a tortilla. Make them with delicious California avocados and all of your favorite taco toppings! This recipe is grain-free, vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free!
A lot of the recipes I make change with the seasons. I love mixing up the flavors and produce I use to really capture the feeling of a season. There is one meal that’s a constant no matter the time of year, though, and that’s tacos! I won’t ever turn down a good taco night, and for this recipe, I dreamed up the most perfect combination of ingredients to make a Mexican-food dish worthy of cravings. These Crispy California Avocado Tacos are almost too good to be true: they’re totally vegan and everyone in my house agrees they’re delicious!
All About Avocados
California avocados are one of my favorite ways to get my daily nutrients in. These tacos are made with creamy, rich California avocado. It is a perfect pairing of bountiful flavor and nutrition with incredible texture. Avocados offer healthy fats, dietary fiber and nearly 20 vitamins and minerals such as potassium, folate, vitamin E, C and B6. To ensure you’re enjoying locally grown California Avocados, be sure to check for California on the label!
How to Select and Store Perfect Avocados
When at the grocery store, look for avocados with no soft spots. For this recipe especially you’ll want firm, not-quite-ripe avocados! Once ripe you can refrigerate avocados for two to three days and use them for all of your favorite avocado and guacamole recipes.
Using Underripe Avocados
These Crispy California Avocado Tacos are the perfect use for those not-quite-ripe avocados! Soft avocados will become mushy when fried, so they need to be more firm to hold up through this cooking process. Save your softer avocados for guacamole and grab less-ripe ones for this recipe!
How to Make Vegan and Grain-Free Crispy Avocado Fries in the Air Fryer
The air fryer is your best friend when it comes to healthy, flavorful meals like this one! All you need for crispy fried avocados is a little avocado oil spray and a batch of my Homemade Grain-Free Breadcrumbs. The air fryer does all the work! No egg needed!
- Slice each avocado into 8-10 wedges for 16-20 total. Place them into a bowl with the breadcrumbs and give it a good stir, making sure each avocado slice is evenly coated.
- Be sure to preheat your air fryer before starting the cooking process. I got the best results when I set it to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with some avocado oil. The avocados will cook in two batches so everything is in a single layer in the air fryer. You don’t want the avocado wedges touching as they cook.
- Cook for 20 minutes, flipping them at the halfway point. Then add them into your tacos while hot!
Serving Avocado Tacos
Make these tacos anytime you want a flavorful and delicious weeknight meal! They’re perfect for weeknight eating or weekend entertaining. My favorite tortillas for tacos are the Siete almond flour tortillas which are gluten-free, vegan and super tasty. For a completely vegan meal, I prepare a batch of Vegan Walnut Taco Meat and Homemade Vegan Sour Cream. I also top these tacos with sautéed bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, and a little chopped lettuce or microgreens.
More Vegan and Gluten-Free Avocado Recipes
No-Churn Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (yup! made with avocado!)Print
These vegan and grain-free Crispy Air Fryer California Avocado Tacos are a quick and flavorful plant-based dish that take avocados to a whole new level.
With crunchy gluten-free panko-like “breading” on the outside and creamy smooth avocado goodness on the inside, these California Avocados become buttery, crispy little dream boats that are meant for tacos. Here I paired them with my homemade vegan sour cream, walnut taco “meat,” and sautéed bell peppers and onions. Plus some cilantro, lime, scallions and red onions for garnish.
The avocado wedges are tossed in my homemade grain-free panko breadcrumbs and air fried until golden brown and crispy. They give these tacos a fish-taco vibe. We can’t stop making this recipe over here!
For the Crispy Air Fryer Avocados
- 2 underripe California avocados
- 3/4 cup of Homemade Grain-Free Breadcrumbs
- avocado oil spray
For the Tacos
- 2 bell peppers, stem and seeds removed, sliced
- 1 red onion, skin and root end removed, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8, 6-inch tortillas (I love Siete almond flour tortillas)
- 1 cup Homemade Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 batch Vegan Walnut Taco Meat
- Garnish: fresh cilantro leaves, pico de gallo, diced scallions, lime wedges, raw diced red onions, microgreens and/or chopped romaine lettuce
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice California avocados into 8-10 wedges each (16-20 wedges total). Place them in a bowl with the breadcrumbs and toss until evenly coated. Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with avocado oil. Place 8 avocado wedges in the basket and spray them with avocado oil. Cook for 18 minutes flipping halfway through. Repeat for the second batch.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute the bell peppers and onions with oil, salt and pepper until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Assemble your tacos. Just before assembling, sear/char each side of the tortilla over a gas stovetop flame for 15 seconds on each side (medium heat). Place 1-2 tablespoons of vegan sour cream on the tortillas and spread into one even layer. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the walnut taco meat on each taco. Add sautéed bell peppers and onions and 2-3 crispy air fried California avocados per taco. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges, raw diced red onion, diced, scallions, microgreens and.or chopped romaine lettuce. Enjoy immediately while the sour cream is cold and the avocado, bell peppers, onions and taco meat are hot. .
- Category: Entree
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: air fryer crispy avocado tacos
This recipe is sponsored by the California Avocado Commission. All writing and opinions are my own.