These plant-based Creamy Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas have it all: a salty, crunchy gluten free flour tortilla topped with creamy refried black beans, crispy seasoned roasted sweet potatoes, crunchy and flavorful red cabbage slaw, cool and creamy avocado, fresh cilantro, green onions and zesty lime juice. Altogether this wholesome vegan dish is flavor-packed and so easy to make.
Lately for Taco Tuesdays we have been doing tostadas instead of our normal soft tacos. I am completely obsessed with this new spin on taco night. If you are new to tostadas, they are basically like a giant salty chip piled high with your favorite taco toppings. These Creamy Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas are nutritious, full of rich flavor and easy to prepare. The recipe is made with simple clean ingredients and is naturally gluten free, plant-based and soy free. It is one of my favorite quick and satisfying meals for a busy weeknight. And it also works great for casual entertaining (especially for game day parties). Everyone loves to customize their crispy tostada and stack it with their favorite taco toppings.
The salty crunch of the tostada smothered in creamy black beans and ultra-crispy roasted sweet potatoes is heaven. I love the contrast of all these warm ingredients against the cool and refreshing red cabbage slaw, avocado, cilantro, green onions and lime juice. Each bite is bursting with flavor and texture.
You can pick the entire toastada up with your hands to start but usually toward the end the fork comes in handy. It gets messy but it is all amazing.
Looking for more delicious vegan and gluten-free Mexican dishes?
Here are some more great Mexican inspired recipes that are all dairy free, egg free, meat free, gluten free, soy free and peanut free.
- Mexican Veggie Burrito Bowls
- One-Pan Mexican Quinoa and Black Beans
- Brown Rice Black Bean Salad with Mango and Avocado
- Mango-Avocado Quinoa Salad with Toasted Pepitas
Now, Let’s get to making these amazing Creamy Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas!
When you make this recipe, snap a pic and use the hashtag #eatingbyelaine on INSTAGRAM to be featured in my stories.Print
Creamy Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas
- Total Time: 50
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Vegan
These plant-based Creamy Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas have it all: a salty, crunchy gluten free flour tortilla topped with creamy refried black beans, crispy seasoned roasted sweet potatoes, crunchy and flavorful red cabbage slaw, cool and creamy avocado, fresh cilantro, green onions and zesty lime juice. Altogether this wholesome dish is flavor-packed and so easy to make.
For the tostada
- 4 small tortillas (I used almond flour tortillas by Siete)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (½ tablespoon per tortilla)
- flaky sea salt (for sprinkling after it comes out of the oven)
For the Refried Black Beans
- 1, 15 ounce can no-salt-added black beans (with juices)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 batch of Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 avocado, diced or guacamole
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, large stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1 large juicy lime, juiced
- red cabbage slaw
- 2 green onions, diced
- Make the perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes. You can make in advance and reheat in your oven before serving.
- To make the tostadas, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the tortillas in a single layer on a bare baking sheet. Tortillas should not be touching Lightly brush both sides of each tortilla with avocado oil. Bake on the middle rack for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Flip halfway through for even browning. Add a generous sprinkle of flaky sea salt as soon as they come out of the oven.
- For the homemade refried black beans: place the entire can of black beans including the juices in a small pot over medium heat. Cook down for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Mash the black beans using a potato masher. Add seasonings during the last couple minutes of cooking. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread the refried black beans on top of each crispy tortilla. Top with roasted sweet potatoes, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, slaw and green onions.
- For the red cabbage slaw, if you are in a hurry you can leave out the apple and onion and just use more red cabbage. It is easier and quicker to make this way and just as yummy in this recipe.
- More garnish/topping ideas: finely chopped red onion, thinly sliced radishes, diced jalapeño, pico de gallo, Creamy Dairy-Free Cilantro Jalapeno Lime Sauce
- You could also use this Creamy Vegan Black Bean Dip in place of the homemade refried black beans. It is a quicker option and still loaded with flavor. If you use it I would recommend warming the dip.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven and Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Leave a Reply