This one-pan vegan meal is quick to pull together, uses mostly pantry ingredients and keeps clean-up a total breeze. It is loaded with Mexican flavor from the jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and red onion. It is filling and yet completely gluten-free, grain-free and plant-based. I love that it sneaks in three vegetables (tomato, orange bell pepper and yellow bell pepper) and plant-based protein from quinoa and black beans. I like to serve mine with heaps of fresh cilantro, green onion and freshly squeezed lime juice.
Whenever I ask for feedback via Instagram polls you all always say you want more easy, nutritious dinners. One-pan (or one-pot) meals are the perfect easy weeknight solution. This one allows you to throw everything into the pan, cover it and forget about it for twenty minutes. Once the quinoa is cooked, you simply stir in the black beans, cilantro, lime juice and green onions. It couldn't be more simple or quick. I like to scale my recipes to not only feed my family but to ensure leftovers for lunch or dinner the following day. This recipe makes enough for six servings and stores, travels and reheats beautifully. For me, leftovers equal meal prep.
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free and nut-free. If you give this recipe a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your creations.
One-Pan Mexican Quinoa and Black Beans
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Diet: Vegan
A simple one-pot, plant-based meal with fresh Mexican flavor. This dish will be ready in 30 minutes or less. It serves six so likely there will be leftovers making this a wonderful option for meal planning/prepping.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (stem and seeds removed) [red, orange, yellow or a mix!]
- 1 jalapeno, diced (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning [try my Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning]
- 1.5 cup uncooked white quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2.5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 juicy lime, juiced
- 6 green onions, diced
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapeno
- lime wedges and zest
- diced green onion
- fresh cilantro
- Homemade Vegan Sour Cream
- In a large rimmed saute pan with lid (this is the one I use) heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add red onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeno, salt and taco seasoning and saute for 5 minutes until onions are soft and start to turn translucent.
- Add the quinoa, tomato paste, vegetable broth and diced tomatoes and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil. Place the pan lid securely on top and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes without lifting the lid. My pan is non-stick and ceramic and cooks everything evenly without burning the bottom. It took 20 minutes exactly in my pan and I checked on it by viewing through the clear lid.
- Once all the liquid is absorbed, turn the burner off and stir in the black beans, cilantro, lime juice and green onions. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. You may want to add more salt, taco seasoning, lime juice or cilantro. Enjoy immediately hot or warm. Serve with a generous amount of avocado, cilantro, vegan sour cream, jalapeno slices and green onions.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days. It can be reheated in the microwave in a microwave safe container if desired (without the avocado).
knife set (code ELAINE for 10% off)Buy Now →
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: One-Pot Mexican Quinoa
Leave a Reply