Start your day with some sunshine! This Creamy Vegan Lemon Smoothie features bright and tangy lemon perfectly paired with dates, vanilla and almonds for a super smooth combination. It's made to wake you up with a smile!
Smoothies are kind of my main squeeze! I absolutely love blending up a fresh smoothie and I make at least one a day. Using in-season produce keeps my smoothie rotation feeling fresh and interesting, and this year I wanted a new recipe featuring a fresh squeeze of lemon! I created this Vegan Lemon Smoothie that perfectly pairs bright lemon with sweet Medjool dates and almonds for the most incredible combination. It's such a happy smoothie!
Lemon Smoothie Ingredients
This recipe has some of my favorite ingredients for a well-rounded, nutritious smoothie! It has plant-based protein, natural sweetness, and of course tons of flavor in every single sip.
- Lemon - Use both the zest and juice of two large lemons. You could do more if you really love lemon flavor! A Lemon Squeezer makes it really easy to get all the juice out of your fresh lemons.
- Plant-based Milk - I use unsweetened Almond Milk or coconut milk! You could also go for Cashew Milk or Oat Milk.
- Almonds - Raw, blanched slivered almonds add plant-based protein and an incredibly creamy texture.
- Medjool dates - I used three pitted, soft dates for a natural sweetness that perfectly balances the lemon.
- Vanilla extract - A splash of vanilla makes any smoothie come alive! And I just love the lemon + vanilla flavor combo.
- Turmeric - This is totally optional, but I added a tiny pinch of turmeric for the perfect lemony color! You don't taste it at all next to the lemon and dates.
More About Lemon
I loved featuring bright and flavorful lemon in this smoothie! Lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium, low calorie and sodium-free. Look for lemons with firm, thin, and smooth skin, then store them in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
More lemon recipes I love:
Plant-Based Protein in Smoothies
I use blanched and slivered raw almonds as well as almond milk to add plant-based protein into this Lemon Smoothie. As a bonus, it also creates a thick and creamy texture you won't believe! Almonds are low in carbohydrates and high in protein. They also offer fiber, healthy fats, vitamin E, magnesium, iron and calcium.
Natural Smoothie Boosters
Most of my smoothie recipes have hemp seeds and chia seeds listed as optional smoothie boosters. If you have both on hand, I recommend adding a spoonful into your smoothie! Chia is a “superfood” with important nutrients and low calories. Chia seeds are rich in fiber, essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6) and antioxidants that help prevent cell damage. They offer protein and are high in calcium, iron, and magnesium. Hemp seeds (sometimes called hemp hearts) have plant-based protein and essential fatty acids. They also contain vitamin E, potassium, iron, fiber and calcium.
This Vegan Lemon Smoothie is totally dairy-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free. It's a really wonderful way to give your body plant-based energy and nutrition! If you post about it on Instagram, I'd love it if you tagged me so I can see! You can also drop a review below to help other smoothie lovers find and make this drink.
More Vegan Smoothie Recipes
- Kid-Friendly Spinach Smoothie (vegan)
- Sunshine Smoothie
- Vegan Paleo Lemon Blueberry Smoothie (no banana!)
- The Best Vegan Key Lime Pie Smoothie Bowl
- Creamy Pitaya Beet Smoothie
- Vegan Wild Blueberry and Almond Butter Smoothie (no banana!)
- Creamy Tropical Kiwi Smoothie
- 3-Ingredient Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
- Vegan Strawberries and Cream Veggie-Filled Smoothie
This Creamy Vegan Lemon Smoothie features bright and tangy lemon paired with dates, vanilla and almonds for a super smooth combination.
For the smoothie
- 2 large juicy lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain plant-based milk of choice (I love almond milk or coconut milk here)
- ¼ cup raw, blanched slivered almonds (not sliced almonds)
- 3 soft Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups ice cubes
- optional: ⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric (for color)
Optional Smoothie Boosters
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- To a high speed blender, add lemon zest and juice, plant-based milk of choice, slivered almonds, dates, vanilla, 1 cup of ice and ground turmeric. Add optional smoothie boosters (chia seeds and/or hemp seeds) if using. Blend on the highest speed for 30-60 seconds until perfectly smooth and creamy.
- Add the other 1.5 cups of ice and blend for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy yet still frosty.
- Divide into two large glasses and garnish with coconut whipped cream, lemon zest, lemon slices or wedges and/or granola if desired. Enjoy immediately with a spoon or straw.
This is the perfect smoothie to add a handful of baby spinach. You won't taste it at all here.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Blender
Keywords: creamy vegan lemon smoothie