This smoothie has been giving me life lately. It is my go-to reset smoothie and it tastes absolutely incredible. It is creamy, sweet, earthy and has the most vibrant magenta color. I love when nature makes gorgeous colors like this.
I'm loving this smoothie because it gets me a fruit, a vegetable, plant-based protein and healthy fats all in one shot. The pitaya pairs beautifully with the beet from both an aesthetic and taste perspective.
This refreshing and cleansing smoothie has been on daily rotation in our house. My husband and girls gulp it down.
I kept this recipe super simple. No roasting, peeling or chopping the beets is required. Just go to the frozen section of your supermarket and pick up a bag of frozen beets. I like them pre-cut into cubes so that my blender can handle them (Earthbound Farms makes a great option). And while you are there pick up frozen pitaya. I buy my frozen pitaya packets at Whole Foods.
Pitaya is rich in antioxidants and magnesium, is a good source of iron and is high in fiber. Beets have a naturally sweet flavor and yet are low in calories. They are known to be an excellent source of folate and a good source of potassium, vitamin C and fiber.
This smoothie is raw, vegan (dairy-free and egg-free), gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free. You can make it nut-free by omitting the almonds and using a different plant-milk. The slivered almonds make it extra creamy so in place of them you could add your favorite plant-based yogurt.
This refreshing and vibrant smoothie packs in a fruit, vegetable, plant-based protein and healthy fats. It is easy to make using frozen ingredients. The slivered almonds make it extra creamy and more filling without adding any flavor or grittiness. It is naturally sweetened with dates which keep it refined sugar free. The hemp seeds and chia seeds are really optional but I like to add them for extra nutrients. I prefer a frostier, thicker smoothie so I like to add 2 cups of ice. You may use less if desired.
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk (or any plant milk)
- 1 cup frozen beets (I use Earthbound Farms - small chunks)
- 1 frozen pitaya packet, unsweetened (100 gram packet)
- ¼ cup raw, unsalted slivered almonds
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 cups ice
- Place almond milk, frozen beets, frozen pitaya, slivered almonds, dates, hemp seeds and chia seeds in a high speed blender and blend for 30-45 seconds until smooth and no chunks remain. Add 1 cup of ice and blend. Add another cup of ice and blend again until smooth and creamy. If you have difficulty blending use less ice or add ½ cup almond milk. You can also use the blender's tamper (if you have one) to help the ingredients blend together.
- Enjoy immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Smoothie