These vegan and gluten-free lemon blueberry muffins are fluffy and tender with just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the tangy lemon flavor. The pop of fresh and juicy blueberries pairs perfectly with the lemon. The muffins are refined sugar-free, nut-free and full of wholesome nutrient-rich ingredients.
Vegan and Gluten-Free Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Spring is almost here! It’s time to move on from the chill of winter — rise and shine with these bright and delicious lemon blueberry muffins. Blueberry and lemon is my favorite combination of flavors — so awakening! The flavors really shine through these moist and decadent muffins.
The muffins are vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, nut-free, and soy-free, so they really are an ideal health boost as you transition seasons. Fresh blueberries and fresh lemons combine perfectly with the warmth and protein of the oat flour. Maple syrup and coconut cream top these off with just the right amount of sweetness. Whether you’re continuing your health journey or are trying to reset after eating heavy during the cold winter days, these muffins give you nutrients and convenience in a perfect on-the-go package to start your day, and season, off right!
Muffins… the perfect breakfast solution
Muffins, to me, are just a perfect breakfast. They’re easy to grab and eat on-the-go and my kiddos feel like they’re getting a special treat! Even better, these muffins can actually give you an energy boost (rather than a sugar crash!). They come together quickly and easily and end up looking so beautiful! These would be a perfect addition to a brunch table, a bridal or baby shower spread, or just an “eat this in the car” kind of breakfast!
These muffins use an oat flour base (nothing fancy – you can make it from old fashioned oats). Oats are among the healthiest grains in the world. They are an amazing source of carbohydrates, protein, and fiber, which mean they keep you fuller, longer — so you won’t be reaching for more snacks to hold you over until lunch. They also have a good amount of iron, vitamin B, and antioxidants. The addition of blueberries and lemon adds even more! Blueberries support healthy hearts, healthy bones, and healthy skin, plus they offer vitamin C and aid in digestion. Lemons kick up the vitamin C even more to help support a healthy immune system — crucial as the temperature changes and your body is needing to adjust.
How to Make these Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Beyond tasting delicious, looking beautiful, and providing the right nutrients, these are also super simple to make! You can make the oat flour yourself — just pop old fashioned oats in your blender and blend until it becomes a flour-like consistency. Mix the homemade oat flour with the rest of the dry ingredients. Back in your blender, add all the wet ingredients and blend away! Once smooth, pour over your dry ingredients and mix together. Gently fold in the blueberries and distribute evenly in the muffin tins. They take 20 minutes to bake. Once cooled, drizzle with melted coconut butter and sprinkle with more lemon zest. This step is optional, but I think it really makes these come together!
Looking for more fresh-baked breakfast inspiration? Try these!
- Vegan and Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Muffins
- Vegan and Gluten-Free Baked Chocolate Donuts with Chocolate Ganache Glaze (refined sugar free + nut free)
- Homemade Vegan Pop-Tarts Stuffed with Raspberry Chia Jam (gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free)
- Dye-Free Green Muffins (vegan + gluten-free + nut-free + refined sugar-free)
- Vegan Baked Oatmeal
- Carrot Quinoa Protein Muffins (vegan + gluten-free + nut-free)
Can’t get enough of the Lemon + Blueberry combo? Me too! Try my Lemon Blueberry Smoothie.Print
These vegan and gluten-free lemon blueberry muffins are fluffy and tender with just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the tangy lemon flavor. The pop of fresh and juicy blueberries pairs perfectly with the bright lemon. The muffins are refined sugar-free, nut-free and full of wholesome nutrient-rich ingredients.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (certified gluten-free if desired)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain plant-based milk (I use almond milk or oat milk)
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced (6 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with silicone baking cups or paper baking cups.
- Add oats to a dry high speed blender and process the oats until a fine oat flour forms. Pour the oat flour into a large mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl add the baking powder and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Rinse out the blender and add the maple syrup, oil, milk, lemon juice and zest and vanilla. Blend for 30 seconds on high speed then pour into the mixing bowl. Stir well to combine. Gently fold in the blueberries. I like to set aside a handful or two of blueberries to top the muffins for presentation.
- Fill the baking cups with the muffin batter. Top with reserved blueberries for presentation. Bake for 10 minutes. Without opening the oven door lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake another 10 minutes. This step helps them rise quickly but not burn.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing the baking cups from the muffin tin. Transfer baking cups to a wire cooling rack. Drizzle with melted coconut butter and sprinkle with lemon zest if desired. Enjoy while hot or store in an airtight container for up to five days and enjoy at room temperature.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven Baked
Keywords: Vegan and Gluten-Free Blueberry Lemon Muffins