Fluffy, decadent chocolate cookies with a twist of peppermint are a must-bake during the holidays! These Vegan Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are made totally gluten-free and without refined sugar, but you can expect big flavor in each bite...and happy smiles from everyone who tries them!
I have been in total holiday cookie mode lately. I just keep dreaming up delicious recipes to make and try, and when they turn out this delicious, I have to share them with you! These Vegan Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are such a bright and decadent treat. I would honestly eat them year-round, but they're especially fun in December! They would be beautiful added to a plate of holiday cookies or served as a sweet treat alongside my Blender Hot Chocolate. The way the peppermint pairs with dark chocolate...it just feels special!
Ingredients in Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
This ingredient list is almost all pantry items that I always have on hand! If you have a "need chocolate now!" kind of emergency, this just might be the recipe for you.
- Almond flour - Not almond meal! Look for super-fine, blanched almond flour.
- Oat flour - This can be bought pre-made, or you can make your own by pulsing oats in the food processor until they turn into a flour-like consistency.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - The darker the better!
- Butter - Look for a vegan, soy-free butter. I love Miyoko brand! Coconut oil works as well, but I've had the best results with vegan butter.
- Pure maple syrup - This is a natural sweetener that keeps your cookies free of refined sugar. It's made from the pure sap pulled out of maple trees! I buy maple syrup in bulk because it's so handy for sweetening and adding flavor.
- Baking essentials - Pure vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt! Vanilla and salt perfectly balance the flavors, while baking soda gives them a bit of lift and the perfect fluffy texture.
- Peppermint extract - Double check your bottle on this one! Peppermint tastes different than mint or spearmint.
- Chocolate chips - For vegan, refined sugar-free, and dark chocolate chips I always go with Hu brand. You can use my code ELAINE for 10% off.
- Optional garnishes - You can make these cookies feel a little extra special with vegan cashew vanilla icing, vegan vanilla frosting, or finely crushed candy canes. I love Yum Earth brand!
Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Making gluten-free cookies doesn't always mean fancy, hard-to-find ingredients! I make the majority of my favorite baked goods with a combination of almond flour and oat flour. Both of these can be made at home from raw blanched almonds and oats! Just pulse them individually in your blender until you achieve a flour consistency. If gluten-free is important to you, double check that your oats are certified gluten-free. Almonds add plant-based protein along with fiber, healthy fats, vitamin E and magnesium. Oats are full of soluble fiber, which helps you feel full longer, and they contain more protein and healthful fats than most other whole grains!
Dairy-Free Milk & Gluten-Free Cookies
If you prefer your cookies with a tall glass of milk, I've got dairy-free versions you'll love! Try my recipe for the Best Homemade Almond Milk or Easy Homemade Cashew Milk. Oat Milk is also really popular right now! For a double (triple?) dose of chocolate, try my Easy Homemade Chocolate Hemp Seed Milk. When I'm making plant-based milks at home, I love using my Almond Cow (use my code ELAINE for $15 off!) or a Nut Milk Bag for easy cooking and cleanup.
There are so many decadent ways to pair this Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookie for the holidays! You could really honor the chocoholics in your life by giving them cookies and a Vegan Hot Chocolate Bomb, pair them with my Gingerbread Steamers (which are delicious with EVERY kind of cookie!), or indulge your loved one in a self care moment with cookies and a batch of Homemade Peppermint Body Scrub. I would be in heaven!
These Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are gluten-free (no wheat!), vegan (no dairy or eggs!), soy-free, and peanut-free. They're also made without any refined sugar! It's a holiday treat that will make you feel great from the first bite. I hope you make, love, and share these cookies! Please tag me on Instagram so I can see your cookie fun, and don't forget to leave a review below.
More Vegan Chocolate Favorites
- Easy 5-Ingredient Vegan Peppermint Patties
- No-Churn Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles
- Creamy Vegan Peppermint Patty Smoothie
- Vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- Fudgy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (this is my daughter's recipe)
- Instant Vegan Chocolate Pudding
- Vegan Salted Tahini Date Chocolate Smoothie
- Creamy Vegan Mint Chocolate Smoothie
- The Best Healthy Vegan Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Vegan Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 14 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Fluffy, decadent, and gluten-free Vegan Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are a must-bake during the holidays!
- 1 cup super-fine blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- ½ cup oat flour (gluten-free if desired)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons vegan, soy-free butter, slightly softened (I love Miyoko vegan butter or you can sub coconut oil but I have better results with vegan butter)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (not mint extract or spearmint extract)
- ½ cup vegan and refined sugar free dark chocolate chips or chunks (plus more for topping)
- optional garnishes: vegan cashew vanilla icing or vegan vanilla frosting + finely crushed candy canes (I love Yum Earth brand)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl (almond flour, oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt). Whisk to fully combine.
- Add the wet ingredients (softened butter or coconut oil), maple syrup, vanilla extract and peppermint extract) and combine using a hand mixer. Mix in the chunks of dark chocolate.
- Using a retractable cookie scoop, make 14 cookies (about 1.5 tablespoons in size each) and place on your prepared baking sheet. Add extra chocolate chips or chunks on top if desired. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool directly on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to fully cool. They will harden as they cool so be sure to wait to handle them until they have fully cooled.
- To decorate, drizzle my vegan blender cashew vanilla icing or smear my vegan vanilla frosting overtop the cooled cookies. Sprinkle finely crushed candy cane pieces overtop the cookies.
- Enjoy after they have fully cooled or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Measuring Spoons [use code ELAINE-10 for 10% off]Buy Now →
refined sugar-free, vegan dark chocolate (use code ELAINE for 10% off)Buy Now →
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 8
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
Keywords: vegan gluten-free chocolate peppermint cookie
Rebecca cook says
These are so beautiful! I can't wait to make them.
Elaine Gordon says
Thank you so much, Rebecca! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! 🙂 Happy holidays!
Joanne Cotton says
You need to make these. I modified a little. Used spelt flour instead of oat. Eliminated the peppermint but out crushed candy canes on top. Awesome! If you eliminate the baking soda they are fudgy like brownies! A definite repeat recipe for me!
Elaine Gordon says
Thank you so much, Joanne! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed this cookie recipe and plan to repeat! Best, Elaine