If you’re hoping to up your healthy snack game this is the recipe for you! These Fudgy Hemp Bites are perfect for your sweet tooth cravings and they’re filled with plant-based protein and satisfying flavor. Make a batch (or two!) and keep them in your freezer for an easy-to-grab bite whenever you’re feeling snacky.
I love having a recipe like these Fudgy Hemp Bites up my sleeve! It’s the perfect snack or dessert, and since they’re stored in the freezer, you can make a ton and always have them on hand. I filled this recipe with almond butter, hemp seeds, and oats for plant-based protein and a kick of sustainable, natural energy to last all day. They’re sweetened naturally with maple syrup and get a deep cocoa flavor from cocoa powder! It’s the perfect combination of flavors and would totally satisfy your candy bar craving without all the refined sugar and hard-to-pronounce ingredients. Plus, they’re really easy to make and only require a mixing bowl and clean hands. Let’s make a batch!
Ingredients in Fudgy Hemp Bites
These are some of my absolute favorite ingredients! I almost always have everything I need for this treat right in my pantry, so the minute I decide I want a sweet snack, I can whip up a batch. It’s as simple as measuring, scooping, and freezing!
- Hemp hearts – Find these in the health food section of your grocery store! They’re often stored alongside nuts and seeds or occasionally in the baking aisle. I get mine at Costco in bulk.
- Quick cooking oats – Double check to make sure they’re gluten-free if that’s important to you. In this recipe, I like the texture of quick cooking oats over the rolled old-fashioned oats. If you only have old-fashioned oats, pulse them in your blender a few times to break them down a bit!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Look for high-quality cocoa powder that’s vibrant dark brown in color!
- Pure maple syrup – This one is my favorite. I like a big container since I use maple syrup in so many of my recipes. I buy mine in bulk at Costco or on Amazon subscribe and save.
- Almond butter – For the best results and flavor, look for one that’s creamy, raw (not roasted), and unsalted.
- Pure vanilla extract
Health Benefits of Hemp
Hemp seeds, or hemp hearts, are a really great way to add plant-based protein and essential fatty acids to your diet. They have a nutty flavor that is SO delicious paired with the cocoa in this recipe! I love how they make a recipe instantly more hearty and filling while boosting the nutrition. Hemp seeds also contain vitamin E, potassium, iron, and calcium. Whole hemp seeds are also high in fiber, making them good for your digestive health!
All About Almond Butter
You might know by now just how much I love almond butter! It’s an absolute staple in our house. I always keep a back-up jar (or two!) in the pantry and sometimes I even make my own Homemade Raw Creamy Almond Butter. Almonds are high in protein and fiber while being low in carbohydrates. They also provide iron, calcium, and vitamin E. I love that such a delicious snack is also so good for you!
Gluten-Free Oats in Fudgy Hemp Bites
Many of my baking recipes use oats as a gluten-free base. They’re an awesome substitute for flour because of the way they help goodies hold their shape! I love using quick-cooking oats for recipes like this one. I think they have a better texture. Old-fashioned oats would work fine, but I do recommend pulsing them in your blender a couple times before mixing them into the Fudgy Hemp Bites. This helps break them down a bit! Oats also offer awesome nutritional benefits since they’re higher in protein and healthful fats than most other grains you’ll encounter. I love the sustainable energy that comes from these nutritious carbohydrates!
Health Benefits of Cocoa
Unsweetened cocoa powder is made by roasting and grinding cocoa beans. Years of nutrition research has shown that chocolate may provide health benefits from antioxidants called flavanols found in the cocoa solids (as opposed to the cocoa butter). When consumed in large amounts, studies have shown that flavanols in chocolate may lower blood pressure, promote lung and brain health, and even improve your mood (I know I’m always happy when I’m eating chocolate!). Look for cocoa powder that’s a vibrant dark brown color.
More Snack BitesPrint
If you’re hoping to up your healthy snack game this is the recipe for you! These fudgy bites are perfect for your sweet tooth cravings and they’re filled with plant-based protein and satisfying flavor. Make a batch (or two!) and keep them in your freezer for an easy-to-grab bite whenever you’re feeling snacky.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir until well incorporated.
- Use a 1.5 tablespoon retractable cookie scoop to form the bites. Place the bites on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place in the freezer for 2-4 hours to set. Enjoy straight from the freezer.
* Use a good quality cocoa powder here. It should be a vibrant dark brown in color.
In this recipe quick cooking oats provide the best texture. If you have old fashioned oats and want to use them you can pulse them a couple times in a food processor or dry blender to help break them down a bit.
- Category: Snack