I stumbled upon this recipe while working on a baked brownie recipe. I tasted the batter and it was just incredible. I literally could not stop spooning the batter into my mouth. Because the ingredients are nutritious and plant-powered I didn't feel bad about it in the least. This recipe provides protein, fiber, heart healthy fats and loads of fudgy brownie flavor. It seems too good to be true, right?
Energy bites (or balls) are wonderful snacks that I love to keep in my freezer and enjoy when I need a sweet, filling and healthy treat. I have two other yummy energy bite recipes on the blog: Healthy Raw Cookie Dough Energy Balls and No-Bake Quinoa Energy Bites.
These brownie-inspired energy bites are my most decadent and chocolatey ones yet. I recommend rolling these brownie bites in either hemp seeds or finely chopped walnuts for a lovely crunch and nutty flavor that compliments the rich and smooth chocolate center.
I recently received a stainless steel snack box from Lunch Bots. It has three compartments which are perfect for filling with these tiny energy bites and other small snacks. I sometimes fill the largest compartment with the chocolate energy bites and then fresh fruit such as grapes or blueberries in the other smaller compartments. I put the whole container in my freezer or refrigerator and it makes the perfect portable and pre-portioned snack for me and my girls when we go on outings. I find that if I keep the energy balls frozen that by the time we are ready to dig in everything has thawed out to the perfect temperature.
This recipe is gluten-free, raw, vegan, soy-free, refined sugar-free and peanut-free. If you give this recipe a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see you enjoying your creations.Print
This easy 10-ingredient recipe comes together in 10 minutes or less. Each energy bite provides healthy fats, fiber and plant-based protein. They taste like a chewy, chocolatey brownie and are gently rolled in walnuts or hemp seeds for the perfect crunch. They make a convenient and portable healthy snack.
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds and/or finely chopped walnuts for rolling
- ½ cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raw almond butter (or any unsalted nut or seed butter)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or flax oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a shallow, small dish place the hemp seeds or finely chopped walnut pieces. You will use this for rolling or "dipping" the energy bites at the end. Set aside.
- Line a small cookie tray or any small flat surface that is freezer safe with non-bleach parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients (cocoa powder, almond meal, arrowroot starch, ground flaxseed and salt). Stir in the wet ingredients until well incorporated (almond butter, maple syrup, flax oil and vanilla extract).
- Using a medium sized cookie dough scoop create 1.5 tablespoon portions of the dough. Roll into balls and dip half of each ball into the hemp seed or walnut mixture. Place each ball on the lined cookie tray leaving a bit of space between each ball. Place the tray in your freezer for about two hours before enjoying. You can leave in your freezer if desired. If frozen solid overnight you will want to leave the energy balls out at room temperature for about 5 minutes before enjoying.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Snack