When it comes to energy bites, I love to get creative and switch things up from time to time. In honor of David's upcoming second birthday I turned his favorite snack (energy bites) into birthday cake-themed bites of pure joy. These energy bites taste like yummy vanilla cake batter and are studded throughout with vegan, dye-free sprinkles to make them extra festive. I drizzled melted coconut butter on top for the birthday cake "icing" and added even more sprinkles on top. Fun, right!? Each energy bite is like your own personal funfetti vanilla birthday cake, but totally nutritious.
They are naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup and packed with plant-based protein from the almond butter and almond flour. Talk about a birthday win! Everything is combined in a food processor and then you pulse in the sprinkles, roll into balls and decorate with the icing and more sprinkles. That's it! You could enjoy right away or store in your freezer or refrigerator.
They are perfect to enjoy throughout your special day whenever you need a little pick-me-up snack. Or, you can surprise your friend, co-worker or family member with these on their birthday. They make a fun food gift for sure. I know I would appreciate it if someone made these for my b-day. Hint, hint! 😉
I know you all are going to absolutely love these birthday cake energy bites! They are gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, soy-free and peanut-free. If you give them a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see you enjoying your birthday creations. Happy birthday!
P.S. - Be sure to check out my Vegan Healthy Birthday Cake Smoothie too!Print
These healthy energy bites are a festive way to celebrate anything! They taste just like cake batter and are studded with all-natural, dye-free sprinkles throughout. They are naturally sweetened with maple syrup and full of authentic vanilla flavor.
- 1.5 cups fine-ground blanched almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup raw, creamy almond butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon dye-free sprinkles (+ more to garnish)
- 3-4 tablespoons melted coconut butter for "icing" drizzle OR vegan vanilla icing OR vegan vanilla frosting
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour and salt to a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the liquid ingredients (maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla and melted coconut oil) and process until well combined. Scrape down the sides and process again if needed.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of sprinkles depending on how much you love sprinkles. One tablespoon was enough for me, but, hey, it's YOUR birthday so you do you! Pulse a couple times to incorporate them throughout the batter.
- Remove the food processor lid and blade and form into balls. Use a 1.5 tablespoon retractable cookie scoop to portion out the energy bites. Roll each between two dry hands to form balls. Set aside on a flat surface lined with parchment paper for the icing.
- Use a fork or spoon to drizzle the melted coconut butter overtop the energy bites. Alternatively you can use the icing or frosting recipes linked in the ingredients list. Feel free to use as much as you would like. Add more sprinkles on top (they stick to the coconut butter, icing or frosting). Place in your refrigerator or freezer and allow the icing to set for 20-30 minutes. You can enjoy these straight out of the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Snack or Dessert
Keywords: birthday, grain-free, energy bites