A head of broccoli, a splash of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt are all you need to make the most delicious Crispy Oven-Roasted Smashed Broccoli! This is one of my family's favorite side dishes, and it's so perfectly crispy that we sometimes make it as an afternoon snack.
My current pick for most underrated veggie: broccoli! It's just one of those veggies that most people hate as a kid, but if you learn to prepare it well, oh. my. goodness. It will blow your mind! Finding ways to make crispy, flavorful broccoli has turned even my little kids into fans. Our current go-to version is this Crispy Oven-Roasted Smashed Broccoli. Smashing the florets creates more surface area to crisp up perfectly in the oven...and it also makes them great for dipping into vegan sour cream! You have to give this delicious method a try. This post has all the info you need to make perfectly crispy oven-roasted broccoli:
How to Make Crispy Oven-Roasted Smashed Broccoli
The ingredient list couldn't be much shorter: we're cooking with a head of broccoli and some high-quality olive oil. You'll need some salt for the water, but that's it! You can season it to your preference at the very end as well.
- Do some prep work! Preheat your oven to 450F and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli florets to the boiling water and set a timer for 2 minutes. Pull it out with a strainer and place the florets on a kitchen towel to cool a bit. After the temperature has come down a bit, place another kitchen towel overtop and pat them dry. Leave them for a few minutes so the broccoli can dry fully; this will ensure they get nice and crispy in the oven!
- Now grab a 12-inch cast iron skillet and brush the bottom with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place the cooled broccoli in one even layer so they are not touching. Use a glass or measuring cup (anything with a clean flat bottom surface works!) to smash each broccoli floret until it is ¼-1/2 inch thick. They will spread slightly and become flat, which increases their surface area and helps it crisp up nicely in the oven!
- Drizzle more olive oil generously on top of the broccoli. I like to use a silicone brush to ensure each piece is fully coated! Sprinkle them with salt and pepper before popping the skillet into the oven for 10 minutes. At the 10-minute mark, use a spatula to flip each floret to the other side and let it roast for 5-10 more minutes.
- Your Smashed Broccoli is all done when it's golden brown and crispy! Season them with more salt and pepper and serve immediately while hot.
All About Broccoli
We all know broccoli is a healthy veggie, but do you know just HOW good it is?! As a Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) through the National Commission of Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC), I've always been curious about exactly what makes a food "healthy." When it comes to broccoli, you're getting a veggie that's high in folate and immune-boosting vitamin C while also being a good source of dietary fiber and potassium. When selecting your broccoli, look for odorless broccoli heads that have tight florets that are bluish-green in color. Avoid heads that have mushy spots or pale coloring! Store broccoli in your refrigerator for up to five days.
The Best Olive Oil for Roasting Broccoli
Using a high-quality olive oil is important when you're roasting veggies because you can really taste the difference! I've been a longtime fan of Pomora Olive Oil, a company that lets you adopt an olive tree and enjoy high-quality, Italian olive oil directly from your tree. So cool! Use my code EBE25 for a discount on your first order.
How to Serve Crispy Smashed Broccoli
Honestly, this broccoli is absolutely delicious eaten by itself. Will I sound crazy if I say I eat it like chips?! They really are that good! It's also delicious served alongside my Tahini Sauce, Easy Homemade Vegan Sour Cream, or Three-Ingredient Homemade Honey Mustard for dipping. You can even sprinkle them with pomegranate arils for a burst of festive color!
I hope you make and love this easy Crispy Oven-Roasted Smashed Broccoli! It's such a simple way to add some variety to your side dish game. This is a side that accommodates so many allergies: it's vegan (no dairy or egg!), gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, and friendly for paleo or keto diets.
More Roasted Veggies
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts or Crispy Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Maple Sugar Roasted Kabocha Squash Recipe
- Easy Sesame Garlic Sautéed Purple Cabbage
- One-Skillet Garlic Asparagus with Sesame Seeds
- No-Fuss Seasoned Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Maple Glazed Sautéed Carrots
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash
A head of broccoli, a splash of olive oil, and some salt are all you need to make the most delicious Crispy Oven-Roasted Smashed Broccoli!
- 1 large head broccoli, stems removed and cut into individual broccoli florets
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste (see instructions)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add salt and the broccoli florets to the boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes and remove broccoli with a strainer. Place the broccoli on a kitchen towel and once cool enough place another kitchen towel overtop and pat dry. Allow the broccoli florets to dry fully so they can get nice and crispy in the oven.
- Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to the bottom of a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Brush with a silicone brush to spread into one even layer. Place cooked and dried broccoli in the skillet in one even layer so they are not touching. Use 2 or more skillets if needed. Use a glass or measuring cup (anything with a clean flat bottom surface) to smash each broccoli floret until it is ¼-1/2 inch thick. It should spread slightly and become slightly flat. By increasing the surface area of the broccoli it will crisp up nicely when roasted.
- Drizzle olive oil generously overtop the broccoli and use the silicone brush to ensure each broccoli floret is fully coated on all sides and in all the crevices.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place the skillet(s) in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and use a metal spatula to flip each floret 180 degrees to the other side. Roast in the oven another 5-10 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately while hot.
- I like to serve alongside my easy tahini sauce, vegan sour cream or honey mustard sauce.
- Prep Time: 3
- Cook Time: 17
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
Keywords: crispy smashed broccoli