Sometimes the most simple recipes are the best recipes. This basic dish can be served as a side dish or thrown into a salad or grain bowl. The maple syrup makes this recipe. Each cube gets slightly caramelized as they roast leaving them slightly sweet and perfectly golden brown.
These little jewels are soft, sweet and so satisfying. They are somewhat addictive so you might want to double the recipe!
I like to use freshly cut butternut squash as opposed to store-bought pre-cut butternut squash. I find the effort of hand chopping is worth it because it has a much better texture and flavor. On my Instagram stories I demonstrate how to cut a butternut squash. See “ButternutSquash” under Stories.
If you do opt for pre-cut butternut squash be sure to look at the expiration or sell by date and select the latest date possible. Inspect the butternut squash to make sure it isn’t slimy. Pre-cut butternut squash can sometimes be cubed fairly large. For this recipe you want to chop into 3/4-inch pieces.
This recipe is vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free, nut-free and gluten-free which makes it wonderful for serving a crowd with varied food allergies or food sensitivities.
If you give this recipe a try, please let me know! Leave a comment below, rate it above, and tag a photo @eatingbyelaine and #eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your creations!Print
This simple recipe is irresistible and yields perfectly roasted butternut squash that everyone will love. Serve as a side or as a topping for salads or grain bowls.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss to combine the cubed butternut squash, oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Divide between two baking sheets. Spread the cubes out evenly so they are not touching.
- Roast for 40 minutes watching closely at the end to avoid burning. Toss halfway through. Remove from oven once golden brown.
- Serve immediately or fully cool to room temperature before storing in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Category: Side Dish