These vegan and grain-free Crispy Air Fryer California Avocado Tacos are a quick and flavorful plant-based dish that take avocados to a whole new level.
With crunchy gluten-free panko-like “breading” on the outside and creamy smooth avocado goodness on the inside, these California Avocados become buttery, crispy little dream boats that are meant for tacos. Here I paired them with my homemade vegan sour cream, walnut taco “meat,” and sautéed bell peppers and onions. Plus some cilantro, lime, scallions and red onions for garnish.
The avocado wedges are tossed in my homemade grain-free panko breadcrumbs and air fried until golden brown and crispy. They give these tacos a fish-taco vibe. We can’t stop making this recipe over here!
For the Crispy Air Fryer Avocados
- 2 underripe California avocados
- 3/4 cup of Homemade Grain-Free Breadcrumbs
- avocado oil spray
For the Tacos
- 2 bell peppers, stem and seeds removed, sliced
- 1 red onion, skin and root end removed, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8, 6-inch tortillas (I love Siete almond flour tortillas)
- 1 cup Homemade Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 batch Vegan Walnut Taco Meat
- Garnish: fresh cilantro leaves, pico de gallo, diced scallions, lime wedges, raw diced red onions, microgreens and/or chopped romaine lettuce
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice California avocados into 8-10 wedges each (16-20 wedges total). Place them in a bowl with the breadcrumbs and toss until evenly coated. Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with avocado oil. Place 8 avocado wedges in the basket and spray them with avocado oil. Cook for 18 minutes flipping halfway through. Repeat for the second batch.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute the bell peppers and onions with oil, salt and pepper until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Assemble your tacos. Just before assembling, sear/char each side of the tortilla over a gas stovetop flame for 15 seconds on each side (medium heat). Place 1-2 tablespoons of vegan sour cream on the tortillas and spread into one even layer. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the walnut taco meat on each taco. Add sautéed bell peppers and onions and 2-3 crispy air fried California avocados per taco. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges, raw diced red onion, diced, scallions, microgreens and.or chopped romaine lettuce. Enjoy immediately while the sour cream is cold and the avocado, bell peppers, onions and taco meat are hot. .
- Category: Entree
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: air fryer crispy avocado tacos