Fresh citrus and a Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting make these Gluten-Free Lemon Cookies the most refreshing sunny day treat! They're free of refined sugar with an almond and oat flour base.
These bright, zesty and fresh springtime cookies are going to be on repeat all summer long at my house! They're the perfect Vegan & Gluten-Free Lemon Cookies, and I topped them with a dairy-free Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting that makes the most delicious spring and summertime treat. Serve them chilled for an extra-refreshing bite!
Ingredients in Vegan & Gluten-Free Lemon Cookies
This is a pretty classic gluten-free cookie base recipe! I keep all of these ingredients on hand, so it's an easy recipe to make whenever I'm in the mood for really great Gluten-Free Lemon Cookies.
- Superfine Almond Flour - Make sure you're buying almond flour made from blanched almonds for the best texture! Almonds make a light and fluffy delicious base.
- Oat flour - I use oat flour all the time! Oats help bind your gluten-free baked goods and give that perfect cookie base flavor.
- Arrowroot Powder - Arrowroot, along with the oat flour, helps add vegan structure to these cookies while keeping them super fluffy.
- Melted coconut oil - Your coconut oil should be in liquid form, which will mix into the cookie dough smoothly. You can also substitute melted vegan butter for this ingredient!
- Pure maple syrup - This is my favorite way to naturally sweeten recipes. Pure maple has just one ingredient: the sap from maple trees! It brings a wonderfully subtle sweetness to recipes while keeping them free of refined sugar.
- Lemon - Use the zest of two small lemons as well as two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. I like a Microplane and a Lemon Squeezer to make this step as easy as possible!
- Baking essentials - Grab pure vanilla extract, salt, and baking soda out of the pantry to mix into this delicious cookie recipe.
- Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting - I frosted these with a chilled batch of Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting, which is the most incredible topping for a fresh and bright cookie like this one!
Gluten-Free Lemon Cookies
I kept these Lemon Cookies gluten-free by baking with a base of almond flour and oat flour! Look for superfine almond flour from blanched almonds (not almond meal). You can actually make your own oat flour by pulsing oats in the food processor until they form a fine, flour-like consistency. Almonds are low in carbohydrates and high in protein with fiber, healthy fats, vitamin E, magnesium, iron and calcium.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
I was recently able to perfect a Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting that is out of this world! I am so excited about this one. It's made with a cashew base, canned coconut cream, and naturally sweetened with maple. The texture is smooth, thick and creamy, with the perfect cream cheese flavor! Sprinkle with a bit of lemon zest on top for a beautiful garnish.
All About Lemons
Springtime just calls for lemon! It tastes as bright and happy as it looks, and I love how it enhances other flavors as well. Lemons are low calorie, sodium-free and high in vitamin C. In addition to containing immune boosting vitamin C, a medium lemon provides 160 mg of potassium! Shop for lemons with firm, thin, and smooth skin that feel heavy for their size. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
More lemon recipes I love:
These Gluten-Free Lemon Cookies are vegan (no dairy or eggs!), soy-free, and made without any refined sugar. They're a super allergen-friendly treat! I hope you make them and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations, and don't forget to drop a review below so I can hear more about the baking process as well.
More Desserts with Fruit
- Easy Maple Cinnamon Vanilla Baked Pears
- Vegan Gluten-Free Blueberry Crumble Bars (refined sugar-free)
- Riley's Easy Tropical Sorbet (Vegan + Whole30)
- Vegan Grain-Free Key Lime Pie Bars with California Avocados
- Easy Watermelon Popsicles (no added sugar)
- Key Lime Pie Pudding Parfaits with California Avocados
- Vegan + Paleo Strawberry Shortcake Cake
- Easy Vegan Apple Nachos
- Vegan and Paleo Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- No-Bake Vegan and Gluten-Free Cheesecake
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes with White Sweet Potato Frosting
- Vegan Gluten-Free Grilled Peach Cobbler (no refined sugars)
Vegan Gluten-Free Lemon Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 13 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 ¼ cups super fine almond flour from blanched almonds*
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil (or sub melted vegan butter)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 small lemons, zested
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from one small lemon)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Serve with my Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting and lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a half sheet baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, oat flour, arrowroot powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Stir well until combined and no clumps remain. You can use a hand mixer if desired.
- Use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop and place the cookie dough on the parchment paper making 13 cookies. Cookies will expand slightly while they bake so be sure to space them out as much as possible.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to fully cool to room temperature before handling. I like to stick my entire baking sheet in the freezer to speed up this process.
- Once the cookies are fully cooled and have firmed up you can frost them. Top each cookie with my Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting. Use another lemon to add lemon zest overtop all the cookies.
- The frosting will start to soften at room temperature so store frosted cookies in your refrigerator until ready to serve.
13 x 9-inch rectangular baking dishBuy Now →
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 8
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
Keywords: vegan gluten-free lemon cookies