Football season is in full swing! This zesty dip is perfect for serving with raw veggies or chips on game day. It can even be used as a healthy spread in place of mayo or meat for your sandwich or wrap.
Health Benefits of Black Beans
Beans are technically a mature form of legumes and are part of the protein AND vegetable group. So, they make a great option for vegetarians or anyone trying to increase their veggie intake. They also provide fiber and important nutrients such as iron and zinc. Because of their high nutrient content, eating beans is recommended for everyone (including those who do eat meat, poultry and fish).
- 2 cans of black beans
- ½ cup chopped onion or shallot
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ of a hot pepper (add more for added heat)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse beans from can and place in food processor
- Puree with all ingredients until smooth
- Serve with your favorite veggies or chips
- Garnish with cilantro