One of my favorite appetizers for game day, social gatherings, or just an afternoon snack is Creamy Vegan Black Bean Dip! It’s filled with jalapeno, lime, cilantro, and red onion for that perfect flavor that’s just right for dipping. Kids and adults both love it and it comes together in less than 5 minutes.
Black Bean Dip
- 1, 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves (large stems removed)
- 1/4 cup red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 jalapeno (~ 1 tablespoon diced), seeds removed*
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large juicy lime, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup**
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in food processor in the order listed above. Puree until smooth and creamy. You may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed. You may want to add more jalapeno for added spice, more salt to bring out the flavors or a touch more of garlic or lime zest.
- Serve with your favorite raw veggies or tortilla chips. Or, use in burritos, tacos, wraps or sandwiches.
- Garnish with desired toppings from above. I highly recommend swirling a good amount of the vegan sour cream in the center.
- Store leftover black bean dip (without the garnishes) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
* The amount of jalapeno you use is very personal depending on how spicy you like your food. If you are making this for kids leave the jalapeno out as it makes the dip quite spicy. Removing the seeds helps to reduce the amount of heat but even without the seeds 1/4 of a jalapeno pepper is still quite spicy. If you are a fan of spicy foods feel free to use as much as you want. I recommend starting with a small amount, tasting and adding more as needed.
** Maple syrup is optional – I really like it for a touch of sweetness but some prefer the dip without. I like it paired with the spicy of the jalapeno, pungent garlic flavor and the zesty lime juice.
If you want an extra creamy black bean dip, add 1/4 cup vegan sour cream into the food processor before processing. Really good!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: easy vegan black bean dip recipe