Ready to create a versatile, flavorful, and totally Homemade Taco Seasoning using ingredients you already have in your spice rack? It only takes a minute or two and tastes so good you won't believe it!
I know not everyone shares my enthusiasm for creating things from scratch, but when I find one that feels impressive but is so easy my kids can do it...I have to share! This Homemade Taco Seasoning is one of those easy swaps for a store-bought option that's so delicious you'll never go back. It also stores for long enough that you can make a double or triple batch and have it handy whenever you get a hankering for Mexican food!
Ingredients in Homemade Taco Seasoning
Making this seasoning is as easy as measuring ingredients and whisking them all together! Once they're all combined, you can store your seasoning in an airtight container until you're ready to use it. I've found that Luminarc Glass Jars or 8 oz. Wide Mouth Mason Jars work great for this kind of storage!
- Ground chili powder - You have to start with the chili powder! You can play with the amount of chili powder you use to adjust the spice level; I usually go easy on this since I have kids who don't love super spicy foods.
- Cumin - A lot of people think of cumin as a "spicy" spice, but it's more warm and aromatic than anything! I really love the way cumin grounds this seasoning mix.
- Maple sugar - Any granulated sugar works here! You could use coconut sugar as another refined sugar-free option. Being able to control something like sugar content is what really sets a homemade spice mix apart from a store-bought package!
- Garlic powder - Garlic definitely isn't the first flavor most people think of with a Taco Seasoning, but it balances the entire mixture so well!
- Onion powder - Onion powder has a similar purpose to the garlic powder. It creates a super satisfying, complete finished product!
- Salt & pepper - The classics! Start with the amount in the recipe, taste, and add as needed.
How to Use Taco Seasoning
This taco seasoning would be so, so good on any Mexican food! You could even use it as the seasoning on my Crispy Chickpea "Croutons" for a Southwestern snack. YUM!
This Homemade Vegan Taco Seasoning is gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, paleo, soy-free, and refined sugar-free. It's a pantry staple that you can use worry-free! If you whisk up a batch, drop a comment below and let me know what you think! You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see and celebrate your creations.
More Flavorful Combinations
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Best Vegan Paleo Homemade Ranch Dressing
- How to Roast Garlic Perfectly
- Jalapeno Chimichurri Sauce
- Salsa Fresca (Pico de Gallo)
- Easy Homemade Vegan Sour Cream
- Creamy Vegan Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Easy Green Onion Cashew Sauce (vegan + paleo)
- Strawberry Salsa
- Creamy Vegan Black Bean Dip (5 Minute Recipe!)
- Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce (grain-free)
- How to Make Caramelized Onions
- Chermoula Sauce
Creating versatile, flavorful Homemade Taco Seasoning uses ingredients you already have in your spice rack and only takes a minute or two!
- 2.5 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon maple sugar (or coconut sugar or any granulated sugar)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Seasoning Mix
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: homemade taco seasoning