Are your soups and salads missing a satisfying crunch? These Crispy Chickpea "Croutons" are made to add the perfect finishing touch! You only need a splash of avocado oil, a couple seasonings, and a can of chickpeas for the perfect topping.
If you asked me what my must-have pantry staple is, I wouldn't miss a beat. Chickpeas! I keep a serious stock of canned chickpeas on hand because I use them in so many ways. My family goes crazy for a batch of hummus, they add plant-based, filling protein to many of my favorite dinners, and if you roast them just right, they become the perfectly crunchy topping to a salad or soup. That's exactly what this recipe is! Crispy Chickpea "Croutons" have a subtly spiced flavor and the perfect crunch for topping a bowl of soup or a simple salad. You'll quickly wonder how you lived without this go-to recipe!
Crispy Chickpea Crouton Ingredient List
The best thing about this recipe (aside from the incredible taste!) is that I always have these ingredients on hand. It's so easy to make that I can whip up a batch anytime I'm making a soup or salad and want a crunchy topping!
- Garbanzo beans - Use one regular sized (15 oz) can from the grocery store. Drain, rinse, and dry them completely. Wet chickpeas will steam, and you want them dry so they get crunchy!
- Avocado oil - Any cooking oil will make delicious Crispy Chickpea Croutons. Avocado oil is my favorite for roasting recipes like this one!
- Salt - This recipe has just a sprinkle of salt. Once they're finished you can taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference, though!
- Maple sugar - Any granulated sugar will work here! I prefer maple sugar as an option that keeps these croutons free of refined sugar.
- Seasonings - If you want a classic breadcrumb flavor, try adding Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper.
How to Make Crispy Chickpeas
One of my favorite ways to prepare chickpeas is to make them crispy and crunchy. They are such a satisfying snack and they're perfect for topping salads and soups! There are a few tricks for making sure your chickpeas come out of the oven perfectly crispy:
- After rinsing, make sure the chickpeas are completely dry.
- I often use a clean kitchen towel to run the chickpeas dry, which also loosens up the skins. You don't have to remove the skins for these croutons to turn out, but I usually do since the results are a bit crunchier!
- Let them rest for a few minutes after pulling them out of the oven and adding seasonings. They'll continue to crisp up as they cool on the pan!
All About Chickpeas
Chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, are one of my most-used ingredients! I probably eat at least a can every day. I even have Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with chickpeas! Chickpeas are a plant-based source of protein (so important for vegans and vegetarians!). They are an excellent source of folic acid, do not contain any cholesterol, and offer complex carbs. They even have fiber to keep you full longer!
Recipes to Pair With Crispy Chickpea "Croutons"
Aside from eating these by the handful (which I totally do!), there are so many fun recipes that I pair these gluten-free chickpea croutons with. They add a wonderfully satisfying crunch and filling, plant-based protein to any soup or salad!
These Chickpea "Croutons" are totally gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free, soy-free and nut-free! If you make them, don't forget to tag me on Instagram so I can see how you serve them. You can also drop a review below, which is an awesome way to support my business!
More Chickpea Recipes
- Best Chickpea Soup for the Soul
- Roasted Veggies & Crispy Chickpeas Over Fluffy Quinoa
- Easy Moroccan Chickpeas
- Vegan Cauliflower Chickpea Shawarma Bowl
- Best Vegan Chickpea Salad
- Cauliflower Steak Marbella with Roasted Chickpeas
- Vegan Chickpea Bolognese Spaghetti Squash
- Dijon Chickpea Fritters
- Instant Pot Cauliflower and Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Moroccan Tomato & Chickpea Soup
Are your soups and salads missing a satisfying crunch? These Crispy Chickpea "Croutons" are made to add the perfect finishing touch!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place drained and rinsed garbanzo beans on a kitchen towel and cover with another kitchen towel. Gently rub to dry the chickpeas well. Removing the moisture helps them to get extra crispy in the oven. If you have time, remove the skins. If you don't have time just dry them really well.
- Place the chickpeas in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Add avocado oil and toss well to evenly coat the chickpeas with the oil. Do not add your seasonings at this point.
- Add the skillet to the middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and add all the seasonings immediately. Toss well to coat. Allow them to rest for about 5 minutes - during this time they will continue to crisp up and cool off slightly. Transfer to a serving bowl and use on top of soups or salads. Or enjoy them plain by the handful. They are delicious on their own too.
- Store leftovers in an uncovered container at room temperature (do not refrigerate or they will get mushy). They are best when fresh but should last for a day or two stored at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Method: Oven
Keywords: crispy chickpea croutons