The best recipes are usually the simplest. This Simple Side Salad Recipe has a quick homemade dressing and fresh greens, and the unexpected addition of hemp hearts gives texture and hearty nutrition!
I recently mentioned on Instagram that I usually make myself a simple salad to snack on while I prep dinner. Usually, when dinnertime rolls around, I'm getting hungry to the point of being crabby, which isn't fun for anyone in the house! Throwing together a quick salad helps me stay focused on the meal I'm preparing, and it's satisfying without ruining my appetite for dinner. The homemade dressing can be made ahead of time, so it's as simple as tossing everything together in a bowl when I'm getting snacky. I'll prepare extra if I want to serve it as a side dish with dinner, too. As a bonus, the ingredients in this Simple Side Salad Recipe are both light and super nutritious!
Easiest Homemade Salad Dressing
The key to making a simple salad absolutely pop is a homemade dressing! Making your own salad dressing is so, so easy. It's really easy to adjust the flavors exactly the way you like them, and this one is made from simple ingredients that are easy to have on hand. Put everything into a small jar, give it a good shake, and keep it in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it.
- Olive Oil - Use a good-quality extra virgin olive oil - I love Pomora Olive Oil! Use my code EBE25 for 25% off.
- Lemon Juice - I squeeze one large juicy lemon, which is about three tablespoons of juice.
- Maple Syrup - This is my liquid sweetener of choice! It keeps my recipes free of refined sugar and adds a subtle sweetness.
- Garlic clove - I like to press mine through a garlic press so it blends perfectly into every bite!
- Salt - Start with a half teaspoon and then adjust to taste.
All About Hemp Hearts
I love hemp hearts! They're one of my favorite smoothie boosters, but they also add awesome substance to this Simple Side Salad. Shelled hemp seeds, or hemp hearts, add plant-based protein and essential fatty acids to your diet. They have a nutty flavor that is SO delicious! They make this salad instantly more hearty while boosting the nutrition. Hemp seeds also contain vitamin E, potassium, iron, and calcium. They're even high in dietary fiber, making them good for your digestive health!
Spring Greens Salad Mix
I always grab a container of Spring Greens lettuce mix to have in the refrigerator. This is a combination of lettuce, baby spinach, and sometimes romaine or arugula. You can use any of your favorite greens for this salad: baby spinach, kale, arugula...anything in season and leafy green will be delicious with a homemade dressing and a sprinkle of hemp seeds!
More Vegan Salad Recipes
- Spinach Quinoa Salad with Roasted Blueberry Vinaigrette
- Easy Kale Salad with Avocado, Crispy Chickpea Croutons and Vegan Ranch Dressing (gluten-free)
- Asparagus Ribbon Salad (vegan, paleo)
- Spiralized Radish and Arugula Salad with Quinoa, Hemp Seeds and Pepita Seeds
- Simple Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki: Tomato Cucumber Salad)
- Pear and Roasted Beet Arugula Salad with Hazelnuts
- Watermelon Avocado Mint Feta Salad (vegan)
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Candied Pecans, Green Apples and Pomegranates
- Vegan Apple Arugula Salad with Candied Walnuts, Dates and Feta
- Broccoli Salad with Avocado
- Crispy Quinoa and Avocado Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon juice from one large juicy lemon (~ 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, pressed through a garlic press
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 5 ounces mixed spring greens, chilled
- ¼ cup shelled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
- In a mason jar combine the oil, lemon, maple syrup, garlic, and salt. Shake vigorously for ten seconds. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl add mixed spring greens and hemp hearts. Pour 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing overtop the green and toss well. Taste and add more dressing if desired.
- Reserve any leftover dressing for your next salad. Store the dressing in the lidded mason jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Taste and feel free to add more hemp hearts for more texture and more nutrients. Feel free to add more dressing if desired. Portion out into 4 bowls and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: salad
Keywords: simple side salad recipe