Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is pure comfort in a bowl. This simple recipe is ready fast and full of wholesome ingredients that together make the perfect healthy creamy asparagus soup you will crave again and again.
This effortless, dairy-free soup is ultra creamy and perfect for early spring. I was surprised at how gourmet and absolutely delicious it turned out given how simple the process and ingredients are. It is fresh tasting, full of flavor and so satisfying.
I love the creamy texture and vibrant green color of this soup. It is loaded with wholesome nourishing ingredients that together are soul soothing.
Health Benefits of Asparagus
Asparagus is a nutrient-packed vegetable offering an excellent source of vitamin A which is important for eye, skin and immune health. It also provides an excellent source of vitamin K which supports bone health. It is rich in heart healthy fiber and essential nutrients such as folate, vitamin C and E.
When selecting asparagus look for bright green (or violet-tinged) spears that are firm (not limp). The stalks should have tight, closed, compact, pointed tips. If you see open, wilted or shriveled tips that means it is past its prime. You can look for thick, medium or thin stalks. All sizes are fine and do not indicate the quality. I like medium to thicker stalks for soups but any will work in this recipe if you adjust the cooking time.
When you buy asparagus, it is best to eat it right away. If you cannot, cut half an inch from the bottom of the stalks and wrap the bottom of the spears in a wet paper towel. Or, you can place them in a dish with about an inch of cold water standing upright like flowers. Either way, store in your refrigerator with a plastic bag covering the asparagus ends. With either storage method they should last two to three days.
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free and nut-free. If you give this recipe a try, please let me know by leaving a comment and rating it! And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it @eatingbyelaine and #eatingbyelaine on Instagram so I can see your soup!
Cream of asparagus soup is pure comfort in a bowl. This version is totally dairy-free but you wouldn’t know it.
This simple recipe is ready fast and full of wholesome ingredients that together make the perfect healthy creamy asparagus soup you will crave again and again.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
- 12 ounces asparagus (1 large bundle), tough, woody ends removed*, the remainder cut into 2 inch pieces (reserve a couple asparagus spear tips for garnish if desired – see notes)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened oat milk (almond milk will also work well here)
- Optional: 1 cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, large stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- Garnish with cashew cream, coconut cream or vegan sour cream, chives, freshly ground black pepper and reserved boiled asparagus heads
- Place a medium dutch oven over medium high heat and add in oil. Once oil is hot, add in shallots, garlic, salt and pepper; cook for 2-3 minutes until shallot becomes translucent.
- Add in asparagus. Saute for 2-3 minutes and then add the water and milk.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes until asparagus is just fork tender. Turn off the burner and stir in the parsley leaves if using.
- Once the asparagus is cooked through, transfer everything to a high speed blender and blend on the soup setting until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- OPTIONAL: Garnish with cashew cream, coconut cream or sour cream and swirl it around with a chopstick or knife as pictured. Sprinkle chopped chives and ground black pepper if desired. Place reserved blanched asparagus heads on top of soup. Serve hot.
- Store leftover soup (separate from garnishes) in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days. Freeze for up to 2 months. If freezing allow 1-inch of space at the top of the container for expansion.
*How to Trim the Woody Bottoms of Asparagus:
Hold the tip and the base of the asparagus spear in different hands and bend. The stalk will snap off in exactly the right spot.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop and Blender
Keywords: vegan asparagus soup