This vibrant and creamy vegan carrot ginger soup is perfect for early spring weather or the cozy winter months. I love the slightly spicy flavor paired with the sweet, creamy broth. It is refreshing and soothing all at the same time. I can usually pull together a batch of this soup in under 40 minutes and serve my entire family.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped (or substitute 2 large shallots)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pound peeled baby carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (grate about a 2-inch piece of ginger using a microplane)
- 3 tablespoons raw, unsalted cashews or raw, unsalted slivered almonds (not sliced or whole almonds) - substitute 1/3 cup oat milk if nut free
- Garnish with fresh micro-greens, watercress or chives and a drizzle of coconut cream or homemade cashew cream
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; add onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute another minute.
- Add broth, carrots, ginger and almonds. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to slightly cool. Transfer to a high speed blender and puree until smooth and creamy on the soup setting. Taste and add more ginger, salt or pepper if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with watercress, chives or micro greens if desired. You can also top with a drizzle of coconut cream or homemade cashew cream.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Add oil, onions, salt and pepper to your Instant Pot and press Saute. Cook until onions are fragrant and translucent (about 4-6 minutes). Stir often throughout the saute process to avoid browning. I like to add the garlic during the last minute of cooking.
- Add broth, carrots, slivered almonds and ginger. Cover and cook high pressure 12 minutes, until the carrots are tender. Natural release.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender and puree it right in the Instant Pot. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with watercress, chives or micro greens if desired. You can also top with a drizzle of coconut cream or homemade almond cream.
- Prep Time: 3 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop or Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Keywords: vegan carrot ginger soup