These Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls are loaded with flavor, texture and vibrant colors. They are one of my go-to quick and easy weeknight meals that everyone loves. My homemade vegan tzatziki sauce, hummus and/or tahini sauce all pair perfectly with this plant-based and gluten-free dish.
Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
If you love Mediterranean food then you will absolutely love this plant-based meal that features zucchini, red bell peppers and red onions overtop fluffy quinoa. I love to pair it with generous helpings of tzatziki sauce, hummus (or tahini sauce) and fresh parsley or fresh dill. These nutrient-rich Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls are full of incredible savory flavors and fluffy, crispy, hearty, creamy textures. This entree has got it all and it is beyond satisfying.
How to Make Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
When I plan to make this dish I prepare the quinoa, tzatziki and hummus in advance. For the quinoa, I make that in either my Instant Pot pressure cooker or on my stovetop. The Instant Pot method is entirely hands off and efficient. It is my preferred method if you have a pressure cooker.
The homemade vegan tzatziki sauce adds a refreshing, creamy garlic flavor that contrasts well with the shawarma-style crispy cauliflower.
I love the cool and creamy homemade hummus too. It offers more garlic flavor, plant-based protein and just another texture to this dish. My homemade creamy vegan tahini sauce also works great in place of the hummus (and is quicker to make). You can drizzle the tahini sauce all over the bowl like a dressing.
To prepare the vegetables, I chop the zucchini, bell pepper and onion and saute on the stovetop for about ten minutes with olive oil and seasonings. Once everything is fork tender, I toss in the quinoa to combine everything well and warm the quinoa through. While the veggies cook I prep my garnishes (chop my kalamata olives, vegan feta cheese, green onions and lemon wedges). Although there are a couple elements to these Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls, if you prepare the quinoa and sauces in advance it can come together so quickly. Because it makes four large portions it makes wonderful leftovers too.
More Popular Mediterranean and/or Quinoa Recipes (all vegan and gluten-free):Print
These Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls are loaded with flavor, texture and vibrant colors. They are one of my go-to quick and easy weeknight meals that everyone loves. My homemade vegan tzatziki sauce, hummus and tahini sauce all pair perfectly with this plant-based and gluten-free dish.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, ends removed, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seed removed, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2–3 cups cooked quinoa (Instant Pot Method or Stovetop Method)
- Vegan Tzatziki
- Homemade Hummus and/or Easy Creamy Vegan Tahini Sauce
- Garnishes: halved pitted kalamata olives, fresh lemon wedges, chopped fresh parsley and/or fresh dill, diced green onions, vegan feta crumbles (I like Violife brand from Whole Foods) and/or avocado
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat and add oil, zucchini, red bell pepper and onions. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and sauté until the bell peppers are tender (about 10 minutes). Add garlic during the last minute of cooking.
- Toss in the cooked quinoa and stir to combine while warming everything through.
- Divide into 4 plates and top with a couple dollops of tzatziki and hummus (or tahini sauce). Add your desired garnishes: olives, lemon, herbs, green onions and vegan feta. Enjoy immediately.
- Store fully cooled leftovers (separate from garnishes) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
I make the quinoa, tzatziki and hummus and/or tahini sauce in advance so that this meal is quick and easy to pull together. I typically make large batches of these items during my Sunday meal prep. I use in many of my recipes throughout the week.
You may also want to season the bell pepper, red onion and zucchini with oregano. This is a typical Mediterranean seasoning that compliments this dish well.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Salad