These gluten-free lemon and blueberry muffins are fluffy and tender with just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the tangy lemon flavor. The pop of fresh and juicy blueberries pairs perfectly with the bright lemon. The muffins are refined sugar-free, nut-free and full of wholesome nutrient-rich ingredients.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (certified gluten-free if desired)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain plant-based milk (I use almond milk or oat milk)
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced (6 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with silicone baking cups or paper baking cups.
- Add oats to a dry high speed blender and process the oats until a fine oat flour forms. Pour the oat flour into a large mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl add the baking powder and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Rinse out the blender and add the maple syrup, oil, milk, lemon juice and zest and vanilla. Blend for 30 seconds on high speed then pour into the mixing bowl. Stir well to combine. Gently fold in the blueberries. I like to set aside a handful or two of blueberries to top the muffins for presentation.
- Fill the baking cups with the muffin batter. Top with reserved blueberries for presentation. Bake for 10 minutes. Without opening the oven door lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake another 10 minutes. This step helps them rise quickly but not burn.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing the baking cups from the muffin tin. Transfer baking cups to a wire cooling rack. Drizzle with melted coconut butter or cashew icing and sprinkle with lemon zest if desired. Enjoy while hot or store in an airtight container for up to five days and enjoy at room temperature.
Store leftover muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze these muffins, just thaw them completely before serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan and Gluten-Free Blueberry Lemon Muffins