Easy Vegan Zucchini Pizza Bites are the perfect weeknight bite or afternoon snack that has kids crowding around the kitchen counter.
- 1 large zucchini*
- 2/3 cup marinara sauce or pizza sauce (3/4–1 teaspoon marinara or pizza sauce per round depending on the size of the round) – I love Rao’s homemade marinara sauce best
- 1/2 batch of my vegan mozzarella cheese recipe (3/4–1 teaspoon per round depending on the size of the round)**
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (~ 1/4–1/2 teaspoon oil per round depending on the size of the round)
- fine salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning
- vegan Parmesan cheese
- finely diced veggies such as red bell pepper or mushrooms
- black olives
- homemade vegan + paleo panko breadcrumbs
- fresh basil (as garnish after cooked)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 half sheet baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/2-inch rounds. You can slice 1/4-inch rounds or 3/4-inch rounds but I prefer 1/2-inch the best for a nice sturdy and balanced bite. Place them on the two lined baking sheets. Zucchini rounds should not be touching.
- Add 3/4-1 teaspoon of marinara or pizza sauce overtop each zucchini round. Try and keep the sauce in the center of the round leaving a little zucchini exposed around the edges.
- Add 3/4-1 teaspoon of cheese in the center of the zucchini rounds. Drizzle 1/4-1/2 teaspoon oil overtop the cheese (this helps the cheese brown). Sprinkle all rounds lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add any desired toppings from the “Optional toppings” list above. I love to add Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 7 minutes watching closely to ensure the cheese does not burn. Remove from oven when cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil if desired. Enjoy while hot.
- Store leftovers once fully cooled to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For best results reheat in oven. Best when fresh.
* One large zucchini = 18-20 ounces. When cut into rounds the diameter of a large zucchini is typically 2-3 inches depending on which end you are measuring. 1, 19-ounce zucchini yields 30 1/2 inch thick rounds. If you cannot find a large, thick zucchini then use 2 small zucchinis and cut the slices at an angel to yield more surface area for each “round.”
** If you are allergic to cashews but can tolerate almonds, try my vegan ricotta cheese recipe. It has a different texture and flavor but is a fun twist for this recipe. You can also use store bought vegan mozzarella cheese shreds if desired.
If you have extra time (don’t we all!?), sprinkle salt overtop the zucchini rounds before topping them. Allow them to sit with the salt on the flesh for about 20 minutes. This will draw out the moisture a bit so they won’t be soggy when cooked. After 20 minutes, blot with a towel to remove the beads of moisture and the excess salt. Then proceed with your toppings. If you do this you can skip adding salt on top of the cheese.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 7
- Category: Snack or Lunch
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan zucchini pizza bites